Noob question - USB HD not recognized

Hello. Pardon my ignorance. Very new to Vero / OSMC / Kobi.

Just got a Vero 4K. I can connect it to my network. It can see network HDs, but I can’t see a HD directly plugged into Vero USB port. Drive is fine (HFS+ format in MacOSX), and is seen by the Vero if placed elsewhere on my network.

How do I get this drive recognized? TIA.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Hello. Vero recognizes a memory stick in MS-FAT format, so no hardware problem. Do I have to reformat drives (currently in HFS+ MacOSX format) for use with Vero?

Logs would be the first step in helping figure out if it’s a problem because of HFS+

As requested previously, we need logs to get a better understanding of the problem. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

It’s been a while since I looked at HFS+ on OSMC, let alone Vero 4K.
I’ll check this shortly.

exFAT is probably the best way.

A log will help as @bmillham suggested as HFS support is in the kernel.

Sam

If I did it correctly:

https://paste.osmc.tv/avepibehuh

I’m going to take a nap (it’s getting late here), but @bmillham seems to be on the case.

[    4.309561]  sda: unknown partition table
[    4.322525] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
[    4.337885] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[    4.337899] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    4.337908] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

is particularly notable.

The log shows:

[    4.309561]  sda: unknown partition table

So it’s hard to tell if it’s the HFS+ or the partitioning causing your problem. It looks like the drive is a 4TB drive. Do you have a smaller drive that you could try formatting with HFS+ (a USB thumb drive would be fine)?

I will also try to create an HFS+ drive and try on my 4K.

I should have thought of your suggestion. A 32 GB HFS memory stick is seen, videos on it play, no problem. So apparently the 4TB size is the problem. Should it be reformatted with say 4 x 1TB partitions? Does the Vero see multiple partitions on a single drive with no problem?

You could try that. Multiple partitions shouldn’t be a problem. But… If you are going to do that, then just do one big ext4 partition. The 4TB size won’t be a problem with that.

I have a spare 3TB drive, so I’ll try HFS+ on that.

UPDATE:
3TB drive is fine on my Vero 4K formatted as HFS+

I formatted the drive on my Linux Mint system, not a Mac.

I wonder if it’s not HFS+, but how the drive was partitioned that’s the problem. The error in the log leads me to believe that it’s the partition table causing the problem.

By ext4 you mean exFAT format? My disk utility has that as a format option. A 4 TB drive in that format is no problem? I’m strictly a Mac person. Sounds like
I need to reformat and see which type will work for me.

Until now I have used a couple WDTV / WDTVLive units. Started looking for something newer and happened to see a review of the Vero. I certainly appreciate and am impressed with the help you and Sam have given.

Sorry, I forgot that Mac doesn’t support ext4. exFAT would be the best choice. While OSMC can read HFS+, it is known to not be perfect. In particular, drives will suddenly switch from RW to RO.

I did prove on my system that a 3TB HFS+ does work, so if you really want to keep HFS+, and don’t care if you may lose write ability on the 4K, then try re-partitioning the drive and formatting again.

I think the point to check is not the partition format but which Partition Table Format you have chosen.
Based on this

On MacOS you have three choices, clearly for a 4TB drive you want to use on OSMC you should chose GPT.

I tried changing the partition table on my test drive to APT, and then the drive becomes completely unusable on my Linux Mint system, so looks like while I can create a APT partition table, I can’t actually use it.

fzinken - thanks for the input.

@agrund – all working for you now?

Putting movies on a disk in exFAT with GUID partition seems to be okay. Thanks to all for your help. Probably not my last question about Vero. Seems like a cool box so far. Still learning.

1 Like

Glad to hear this. Let us know if you need any help.

Sam