Oh sh*t! External HD corrupted after connecting to Vero 4K+

Today my Vero 4K+ arrived and I’ve been preparing my external Intenso 3TB drive the days before, stuffing it with movies and series. I connected it but the device didn’t seem to recognize it.

I reconnected the drive to my pc and to my horror, it just showed the drive-letter but when clicked it says “not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable”!!!

How can simply connecting it to the Vero corrupt a drive? And more pressing; how to fix my drive? There’s a unique collection of 2TB on there.

In Disk Management it says: 3723.01 GB RAW Healthy (Primary Partition).

Did you ‘safely remove’ the drive before disconnecting it from the PC? Did you shut down the Vero before removing it from the Vero?

You could try using chkdsk to see if it can correct the errors.

Was the disk externally powered when you connected it?

1. The PC was powered down when disconnecting.

2. I didn’t shut Vero down because it didn’t recognize the drive so I didn’t think it necessary.

No

I’m doing a chkdsk /r /f X:
But I’m seeing a very big list of lines like these:
Deleting index entry filename.mp3 in index $I30 of file 1C4CE.
and it scares the sh*t out of me…

It’s now at Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data …
Progress: 32 of 157680 done; Stage: 0%; Total: 0%; ETA: 244:33:57

We recommend that drives are externally powered, or you use a USB hub when connected them to OSMC. Otherwise, they may not get enough power.

That could be why the drive was not recognised. But if the drive was getting marginal power then it may be trying to spin up and down repeatedly and periodically mount the filesystem, which could cause some corruption. It’d be very rare, albeit possible.

Instead of running check disk you should be running something like Recuva instead.