Only one subtitle out of two available?

Odd issue. I have a recording on tvheadend. If I look at the recording I only see one subtitle language, but the film when aired had two (I checked). If I look at the recording from the tvh webinterface and VLC player it says it has two, but in Kodi, I only have one language selectable. Any ideas?

Can you post mediainfo? No experience with TVheadend. Does Kodi play the file directly or through a TVheadend stream?

TVHeadend stream but I assume that is also the case when viewing through the web interface. Excellent film IMHO.

tvburk:/home/dalton/Videos # mediainfo ??1-1.mkv
General
Unique ID : 222971545832265202235585768164199976526 (0xA7BEC1F7BD849D6925258C84EFEB4E4E)
Complete name : '71-1.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 2.69 GiB
Duration : 1 h 35 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 4 019 kb/s
Movie name : '71
Writing application : Tvheadend 4.2.4
Writing library : Tvheadend Matroska muxer
Original source form : TV
DATE_BROADCASTED : 2018-09-07 21:00:00
SUMMARY : Useilla festivaaleilla palkittu jännitysdraama räjähdysherkästä Belfastista vuonna 1971. Nuori brittisotilas joutuu eroon kumppaneistaan ja asemiesten jahtaamaksi. Yrittäessään yöllä päästä sisällissotaa käyvän kaupungin läpi turvaan hän kohtaa yllättäviä liittolaisia ja vihollisia konfliktin molemmilta puolilta. Ohjaus Yann Demange.
TVCHANNEL : Yle Fem

Video
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=32
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Codec ID : V_MPEG2
Codec ID/Info : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 3 715 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 15.0 Mb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Active Format Description : Full frame 16:9 image
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.358
Stream size : 2.49 GiB (92%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 2
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Codec ID : A_MPEG/L2
Codec ID/Hint : MP2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -328 ms
Stream size : 153 MiB (6%)
Language : English

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : DVB Subtitle
Codec ID : S_DVBSUB
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on DVBs
Language : Finnish

Text #2
ID : 4
Format : DVB Subtitle
Codec ID : S_DVBSUB
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on DVBs
Language : Swedish
Forced

The fault lies in both text streams having the default flag. This obviously cannot work. Remux the file with FFmpeg or MKVToolNix(-gui) so only one of them has the default flag.

If this happens with all recordings of broadcasts with multiple subtitles, consider informing the maintainer of the TV Headend addon about the issue.

OK. So this is actually not an addon. I am running TVHeadend (4.2.4) on separate hardware. So, are you saying that it is TVheadend that flags both as default?

If TVH created the file, then yes, it is TVH’s fault. I doubt MediaInfo reads it wrong.

Could you upload the file in question on MEGA or somewhere so we can check independently?

Sure. I will arrange something tomorrow. I have also asked in the tveadend forums

@RJ45 see your private messages

If others don’t need the file as well, you can remove it now. Thanks for the upload!

MediaInfo was identical to the one you posted above. I played the file with OSMC and in the subtitle menu it showed swe and fin correctly. I also tried both and they actually were the proper subs (I remember getting a headache from reading those long word Finnish road signs :smiley: )

That’s what it looks like in Kodi/OSMC while playing the file:

The question now is, why doesn’t this happen on your end, too? I can hardly imagine the skin being at fault here, but could you give confluence a try? You don’t use any TVH addon to play the file, right? Directly in Kodi from a network mount, right?

Btw, it was nice seeing Cook from Skins again. Also greetings to Ă…land; you got a nice TLD. :slight_smile:

Odd… How did you go about getting that selection? I used the T hotkey and had only one selection, finnish or off. As we all speak Swedish here, we would rather have Swedish, bit in this case we quickly switched to TV instead as we were there when recording.

You watched the movie as a file, right? Not as a TVH stream?

Oddly, with La Señora which we watched to practice Spanish, we only got Swedish subtitles.

I will look into this tonight. Thanks again for trying this

A picture’s worth a thousand words:

You can also use the normal subtitle button and switch between both by clicking next:

Using the remote of the Vero 4K here, no keyboard.

I tried using a remote, but ave up have a miniature wireless keyboard with a trackball. So much more useful when you have to type something.

Arrrrggggghhhh… Is not having a loudspeaker icon to select texts a bit daft? :slight_smile: Yes, looks the same in the OSMC skin now that I know hat to look for!

That icon will change with Kodi v18 in our skin. There will a be an extra subtitle window which will have an extra icon. It’s not optimal in v17, yes.

1 Like