OSBC on RPI4 - RPI-clone

I have a working RPI4 with OSMC running KODI - perfect… but I want to back it up easily and run on USB… So I installed rpi-clone (which needed GIT etc)… I ran rpi-clone to clone to USB exactly as I would do on PI-OS - nothing - failure.

SO I took the clone out of the USB and put it into the SD socket - PERFECT.

On checking it seems that the clone worked but OSBC /boot/cmdline.txt wants to see the file system in mmcblk0 P2 i.e. root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet osmcdev=rbp4

Whereas on an RPI normally in PIOS that line says: dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=7d3d6497-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

So I tried replacing the root bit of that line: r
oot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 with
root=PARTUUID=223d6497-02 (thats not the right number) the actual PARTUUID I got from: blkid

So that new version works in the SD slot but not in the USB socket.

If I do the same on RPI4 with PI OS and predecessors - it will work in the SD slot or USB (for SSD, USB stick etc)

Any ideas?

Regards Peter Scargill

We don’t support the PARTUUID syntax at the moment. There’s work being done to make USB booting possible. With that you will be able to boot from SD or from the same SD card in a USB SD card adapter.

That would be stunning - remember - rpi-clone works - it just doesnt do the USB boot part. Ifyou cracked that, it would be like PI OS in being able to clone to SSDs… lovely.