OSCM does not load

Good Morning everybody,

Yesterday I was updating OSMC to the latest release and got an error and now OSMC does not load. See image attached.

is this something with the SD Card? I am using a Raspberry Pi 2, and it has been working without any issues for almost 3 years. Do I need a fresh osmc install with a new SD Card? The SD Card is not being detected for my MacBook. Any help could be really helpful. Thanks.

As you can see, it says

OSMC cannot repair the filesystem and serious corruption may still exist.

You can try to format the partition and reinstall from scratch.

Thanks for the quick reply. is this something related to the SD Card? 32gb SanDisk. Do you recommend buying a new one?

If the card isn’t detected at all in your MAC you could try it in another device to see if it can see the card at all. If not bin it and get a new card.
SD cards have a limited read / write life cycle and 3 years seems reasonable enough.
A 32GB card is about a tenner.

Hi,

It seems like your SD card may be problematic.

Some SD cards are not genuine or have a lower capacity than advertised. Some simply fail over time.

Symptoms of SD cards not working correctly are:

• Read-only behaviour, or changes made not persisting
  • A filesystem corruption error

Symptoms of counterfeit SD cards are:

• Writing works until a certain filesystem size is reached, thereafter, writes seem to cause issues where existing data is lost or newly written data is not preserved.
  • SD card fails after a short amount of time.

Counterfeit cards are usually found on Amazon and eBay.

SD cards have a limited lifespan. I recommend you change SD card and suspect that issues will no longer persist with a good card. If you would like to be a good quality SD card purpose manufactured for OSMC, then you can find one in the Store.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I need to buy a new SD Card and back up the system regularly to avoid this headache. It is really a pain in the neck.

Regards.

These things happen. No hardware will run forever. Things simply have a finite lifespan.
It shouldn’t take you too long to get up and running again.

Hi,

what is the best way to back up the system? I found this on the Internet. Do you know other better way?

Regards.

Go to My OSMC -> Updates and you can create and schedule backups.