OSMC Alpha 2

Will look into it

DNS is proxied: so seeing 127.0.0.1 is fine

Chromium is only planned for Vero at this stage

Hi Sam, I was wondering if it is also possible to install the alpha 2 on a dual system (SD + USB) ? I notice quick performance and stability improvements with this combination.

Thanks again for your great work…
Abel

Is the OSMC Alpha 2 build number 0.0.2?

Yes, simply select USB install in the installer

Indeed it is

Cheers

The official Youtube iOS app will not work with Airplay with any version of XBMC/Kodi on any platform - for the reasons why check comments by Memphiz (Kodi airplay dev) in the Kodi forum. This has been the case for many months now and it’s unlikely to work in the future either. The best workaround is to use Youtube from Safari.

Airplay from iOS 8 is working fine in Alpha 2. Some usage tips -

1. Don’t try to toggle on the Mirroring switch. Even though it is displayed it will not work and will cause the airplay target to disappear for a while if you do turn it on. It can be difficult to get it to appear again so you can turn mirroring off - sometimes a reboot of iOS is needed. As soon as you can see the toggle again turn it off.

2. If you don’t see any Airplay targets at all try toggling Wifi off then on on your iOS device. If that doesn’t work a full reboot of your iOS device is needed. This just happened to me right now on my iPhone 6 running the latest iOS - it wasn’t seeing any airplay targets on the network at all, including my Apple Airport Express… a reboot fixed it.

3. When you first select airplay Kodi may show up as an audio only device. Cancel the Airplay device selection then open it again 10 seconds later - it should now appear as a video device, now you can select it. If you don’t do this you will only be able to send audio.

Airplay support from Mac OS to Kodi is not well tested and I believe it’s not working from the OS but does work from iTunes. I don’t have a new enough Mac that supports Airplay sending from the OS so I can’t try it myself.

All of these Airplay quirks apply to Kodi on all platforms, not just OSMC.

1 Like

I read about YouTube on the Kodi forum, what wasn’t promising … so yeah I figured it wouldn’t work anymore, not that I used it much :smiley:
And yeah I know Airplay is a Kodi thing, but wanted to know if anybody got it working before I would go to the Kodi forum with a alpha 2 of OSMC :wink:

Thnx for the suggestions, will try them out the coming days!

Hi Sam, when I select USB install it will be installed on my USB disk but my pi needs to start from a SD. Do I something wrong (or misunderstanding :frowning: )

Quite common misunderstanding.
Your Pi always needs to boot from a SD.
A USB install is therefor a hybrid install where you have your boot partition on your SD and the system partition on your USB.
This is really only recommended if you know that your USB device is faster than your SD.
It used to be a good solution when corruption on the SD card was more common (mostly due to overclocking), but this has been fixed in the firmware for a long while.

If you still want an USB install, use the installer together with your SD but chose USB install, then put your SD AND your USB device in your Pi and boot.

Edit: Please note that your USB device will be wiped.

Sorry, I figured it out. First install on SD and tell installer to install on USB… It is running now :smile:

Hi Sam,
Did a clean install of Alpha 2 and still not able to get a USB hard drive to be recognized. I believe the file system on that drive is EXT3. Are there still file systems that haven’t been included, or is there any troubleshooting info you want me to post? I plugged the hard drive into my other Pi which is running OpenElec and it was recognized right away, so the hard drive should be good. Thanks =)

I have been messing with reinstalling with various USB flash and USB HDD and found that it works as long as you don’t have any partitions on the drive to begin with. Other wise I seem to get a an error that was something like (but not word for word, sorry) “Unable to boot into root partition”. I also noted that the larger the USB device the longer it sits on the OSMC splash screen with the “USB: remove device in 60 sec to prevent damage” message (again message may not be word for word) with 0% on the progress bar.

You can make absolutely no comparison between an Alpha build and a complete distribution release!

Please be patient.

Seems we are not refreshing the screen after we start the format process! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Installing system onto a mechanical disk type HDD will result in very poor performance and would never be recommended.

ext3 should have no problems. In fact the only filesystem that won’t be working until Alpha 3 is NTFS

Yep, just messing with my test box to see what I can come up with for you, I would not set up my “production” that way. :slight_smile:

Not necessarily: a good 7200RPM disk will get decent read and write and will exceed the read/write performance of the Pi’s SD card reader

installing proposed alpha 3…

quick question… have you tried overclocking the rpi to make it faster? I see arm_freq set to 800 in config.txt… would it be safe to bump it up to 900?

thanks!

It is 850 after install.

900 is completely safe: try the overclock options in My OSMC

I’m running PI at 1100 Mhz and it’s stable (temp ~ 50-60 with radiator glued to chip). 1125 Mhz was max I’ve achieved