OSMC always fail to update (unknown package)

I’ve configured OSMC to automatically download and notify about new updates. I have been getting the notification for months, but when try to apply it in the UI it reboots and then fails. The message is always the same An error occured while installing the following package: (unknown package).

I’ve been applying updates by connecting via SSH and apt update && apt dist-upgrade, but there should be a way to get the updates working fine in the UI. Not every user knows how to do in the the command line.

Logs attached here: https://paste.osmc.tv/jexutudapa

You seem to have installed dhcpd5 (which could cause some issues).
Other than that, from a quick log, there’s nothing obvious in the logs as your logs don’t show a recent attempt to update via the GUI.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don’t remember installing it, but I’ll remove it just in case.

Regarding the logs, I enabled Debug and then proceed to manual update in MyOSMC, not sure why they are not in the logs though…

Have you checked this part of the log?

Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: open /dev/tty: No such device or address
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: debconf: whiptail output the above errors, giving up!
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 132, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret in split at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 133, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret[0] in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 134, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret[0] in string eq at /usr/bin/debconf-apt-progress line 384, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 132, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret in split at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 133, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret[0] in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 134, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Use of uninitialized value $ret[0] in string eq at /usr/bin/debconf-apt-progress line 211, <STDIN> line 1.
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: basename: missing operand
Abr 09 00:34:03 osmc manual-update[29513]: Try 'basename --help' for more information.

Your SD card (and in particular, Perl installation) is corrupted.

As Perl spans a large number of files, this is one of the most likely packages to stop working during SD card corruption. The OSMC update system uses this to display update progress.

I would recommend backing up your files and reinstalling OSMC. I would also verify the SD card with a tool like h2testw first.

You probably installed dhcpcd5 when you installed Pi-hole.

I see. I’ll try to reinstall perl packages. In the event upgrades continue to fail I’d think about reinstalling.

The error messages you highlighed above are for files from the debconf package, rather than Perl.

I see that you tried to install (not reinstall) the debconf package on 5 February. Do you remember why?

The Kodi package says that it was improperly installed and needs to be reinstalled. You might try that first.

I don’t remember right now, but I very likely did that because I was trying to precisely fix update issues. I don’t usually install packages in the OSMC machine unless I have a very good reason for that. I’ll reinstall debconf and wait for the next update to check if it makes any difference.