OSMC and Hyperion

Thanks to @deresistance I was able to get Hyperion working on the Vero 4K! Thanks, man, your post was priceless. :smiley: As you suggested, I chose the first binary option in the installer and didn’t compile from scratch.

Maybe I could’ve guessed the missing write permission for user osmc with HyperCon in /etc/hyperion (which I fixed by a temporary chmod 777 and then reverting back to chmod 755), but I never would have thought of changing framegrabber to amlgrabber in /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json. While framegrabber was present in the .json, the ambilight only worked in Kodi’s GUI and everything to do with it (YouTube addon etc.), but not in video files played via Kodi’s player. After changing it to amlgrabber, the ambilight worked in videos, but not in Kodi’s GUI. So as @hissingshark and @nrosier suggested above, I put together two sections with a slightly different value for priority:

// NO V4L2 GRABBER CONFIG
        // FRAME GRABBER CONFIG
        "amlgrabber" :
        {
                "width" : 64,
                "height" : 64,
                "frequency_Hz" : 10.0,
                "priority" : 890
        },

"framegrabber" :
        {
                "width" : 64,
                "height" : 64,
                "frequency_Hz" : 10.0,
                "priority" : 891
        },

After that, it now works in Kodi’s GUI and in videos.

A minor downer, though, is that it only works with SDR videos. HDR video files make the ambilight display weird wrong colours. Is this a known bug? Only thing I could find was this thread on github.

Anyway, thanks for your help in this thread, guys! Super happy it’s working now. :slight_smile: