OSMC and Hyperion

@nbraunstein
There you would be specifying a commit to build from, if that’s what you want to do/test for some reason. Otherwise it defaults to the latest stable looking commit. The branch is always master.

If you are installing from binaries then specifying a commit wont make any difference. Those are pre-built from the default/stable commit.

@Anthrax
So close! Lets see:

1. Are you using AML grabber?
  2. How are you connecting the Vero4k to the LEDs?
  3. I assume you’ve registered hyperion to autostart with “sudo systemctl enable hyperion”?
  4. After it has auto-started, what does “Remote Control” say in the webGUI i.e. active source?
  5. And are theLEDs “working” in the live preview window, even if not in real life?
  6. Where did your config come from? Was it exported from a build/install from my installer?

I used systemctl enable hyperion but I use the script app to start hyperion on boot and turn on everything but LED’s on with screensaver, which I use black or dim.

I have run into trouble with using systemctl start hyperion.service rather than using that script Kodi app to do so. I also changed it to Hyperion rather than Platform Capture, I notice different results with each. Usually all A/V sync issues. Seems to be all about how you start Hyperion.ng

I installed my current version with the argument after the ./install command. If I want to upgrade to the latest git version, just follow the instructions in your post?

I built from binaries using that argument. I would like to upgrade to current version w/o specifying a build. Was there a reason we were using that one in particular before the OSMC update?

Yes, please follow the instructions I have posted to update. That will have you at the newest version.

Previously we were hanging on at the old commit because I had determined that anything newer broke AML grabbing altogether. It was better to hang on at that point and have occasional A/V sync issues, rather than no video grabbing at all. That is all fixed now, as others have confirmed.

1 Like

V4L2 api should be used for external sources like USB grabber etc.

With V4L2 compiled in the build same problems as you mentioned in points 1, 2, but i don´t have usb grabber to confirm if after connection problems disappeared.

@nbraunstein I have installed latest OSMC june update and with @hissingshark builded binaries i can run videos smoothly except videos coded in HEVC or VP9(typically 4K videos). Whe i run these videos hyperion stops work. In webgui preview i can see distorted image. With double write mode set to 3 for HEVC i can see right captured image.

Today i made a few tests after cold boots(plug off from socket and after 10 secs plug on). HEVC videos works fine if set double write mode to 3.
VP9 videos are in webgui distorted after i set double write mode to 3 but works after set it to 0x10. I am a little bit confused, but in this configuration hyperion works, webgui and TV shows right images.

I didn´t make fresh OSMC installation it can be reason. So something is maybe messed up.
Can someone confirm with double_write_mode set to 0 can normally play HEVC and VP9 videos after June update with turned on hyperion?

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying the V4L2 option. Initially I thought you were asking because you needed the support but if you’ve got no issue that’s great. Glad it’s all working for you.

Don’t know why anyone would need a USB grabber if we have a working internal grabber, but there must be some niche. There’s also the Phillips Hue thing people talk about. I’m not clear if the board with Hyperion replaces the “Hue Hub”, or just talks to it via ?wifi. Ah well.

I’ve not integrated the double_write_mode setting into anything I’ve done as it seemed to be 4K related and have no content or screen to test it. Good to have your findings documented here for the benefit of searches though.

nice, thanks @lancelot … I’ll give your finding a try since I experienced the same with 4k material which I didn’t tested yet but experienced the same (disorted colours on the almgrabber)

edit: after adding your modification, hvec seems to work fine again. thank you!

Did you ever find that sketch? I’d be into trying something different, rather than FastLED with Adalight at baud rate of 115200. All I have tried.

I also seem to have to go into my web config and turn off the LEDs and right back on to get them to turn on. Specifically in menus. I have tried with and without the script. I have that set for platform capture and I use it to turn my lights off with my screensaver.

Even running systemctl enable hyperion.service does not actually turn the lights on even though the log says everything is fine. Just have to go in and turn the LEDs off and right back on. I believe I saw someone post about this earlier.

I am currently on a completely fresh install, all upgraded and the only thing I have installed is @hissingshark hyperion.ng built from binary, the script for hyperion that someone posted here for my screensaver and PlexKodiConnect.

Just as I was typing this the LEDs shut off due to my screensaver timeout but they came right back on. Seems to be a first boot type of thing.

I formatted the Vero because I was only able to play one video between reboots. It would think it was playing but the screen was grey. It was buffering and all…very weird.

I keep the script completely local at 127.0.0.1 and only use it for turning the lights off w/ screensaver, dim selection. I do not use it to start or stop hyperion. I just ran enable and start after installing.

I notice a lot of things start to go to crap when the marcelvent repo is added but I have yet to find a different way to install Spotify. It upgrades so much stuff to beta, a lot of dependencies. Which is why I’m hopeful this format will solve my issues. Stay away from the popcorn mix repo and marcelvent. That seemed to be the root cause. Still have the hyperion issue mentioned above though. No betas, nothing weird installed, only one repo was PlexKodiConnect and I just installed the script for hyperion that works perfectly for turning your LEDs off w/ the screensaver and they go right back on to with a button press.

@hissingshark hey bud need some guidance. Searched through the thread and maybe I missed it but been sitting here for an hour. June or July broke my working hyperion installation I built using the old method. I tried your method to update and still no lights. It is setup correctly (i believe) but no bueno. I can see the image in the preview but no lights.

Philips hue setup.
Verko4k

@Brakiss I have none of the Philips Hue for testing so this will be useful for both of us!

1. By old method you mean my installer or something else? There have been references to a lot of other methods on here.
  2. Were you on Hyperion.ng before and after the June update?
  3. What options did you select each time for the build? Or did you just install the prebuilt binaries?
  4. Finally - how does Hyperion/Hue work? Does Hyperion talk to the Hue Hub to control the lights, or does it replace the hub altogether?

@hissingshark

1. The method from like a year ago before you were as kind to compile for us.
  2. Yes
  3. Pre-built
  4. Talks to the hue hub.

Thanks for clarifying how the Hue system works with Hyperion.

Regarding point 2 - If you are seeing a web preview you must be on NG now, but I’ve only been offering NG since about May this year. So you must have been on “Classic” previously? Perhaps try installing the Classic binaries instead?

I used anthrax’s method and been good for a while until June update.

Ah I see. I’ve seen their guide and it seemed to offer 2 possible sources for the builds (it also was instructions to compile - it did not offer pre-built binaries). Run:
hyperiond --version
to see if we can narrow down what you did.

Edit - you need to do that with the old version installed. Alternatively look through the Anthrax guide to see which method you followed. Specifically they refer to a non-standard code source for the Phillips Hue API. Entertainment?

So here is my result;

Hyperion Ambilight Deamon (10630)
Version : 2.0.0 ((HEAD detached at b1b2079f) (GitHub-051215c8/b1b2079f-1555008850) Git Remote: GitHub - hyperion-project/hyperion.ng: The successor to Hyperion aka Hyperion Next Generation)
Build Time: Jun 22 2019 23:05:47

I am seeing it work on the menu but when I start a movie, it freezes.

I definately installed the hue version.

OK, that’s the current pre-built version from my installer. You’ve upgraded to that following your Anthrax build that stopped working at the June OSMC update.

What does this mean? My installer make no mention of Hue. It’s not even a build option, although I see the webGUI has options for setting up Hue, so there has to be some level of support automatically.

We know the grabber works because of the webPreview and you say the lights work in the menus - by which you mean react to the on-screen changes there? So we know that it can communicate and control the Hue Hub. It just fails during video playback.

You may have missed my edit above - we need to work out what you were running from Anthrax, before the update.

EDIT - unfortunately I’ve found the link above for the Anthrax instructions and the repo has been deleted, so we can’t read those anymore…

Ok, from what I’ve been able to backtrack you likely built something from this outdated repo with Philips Hue support. This was not the official Hyperion.ng repo.

The good news (from what I can piece together of the revisions and Google-translate from German) is that the owner has started work on syncing their code to merge upstream. This will make it part of the official Hyperion.ng and you should be back in business. I’ll be keeping an eye on this so I can get it in as soon as it is ready.

Until then it seems you’re out of luck with Philips Hue, unless another user on here is having a better experience, in which case please share with the group!