OSMC freeze after a few hours

USB 2.0 spec only requires that 500mA be provided. Few TV’s provide more than this. We’ve seen it a million times. The secondary issue in such a situation is that often, the pi is not shut down properly/completely before powering off the TV which results in unclean shutdown of the operating system and most often resulting in file system corruption and an unbootable pi.

Really? And what do you base this on ? A sample size of one ?

BTW, a 1 amp power supply has not been recommended for the Raspberry Pi for a long time. The Pi foundation recommends a minimum 2 amp supply for all recent models of Pi, (especially Pi 3) and I can guarantee your TV will not supply 2 amps at 5 volts.

We strongly recommend that people do not power their Pi’s from their TV’s USB ports.

“And what do you base this on”

The fact that my first Pi 1 kept freezing as it came with that before mentioned charger I chose from the Pi store.
If 1A is not recommended, they should´nt sell it. But since I connected the Pi 1 to a tv usb-output, no problems.

However, I wont go against this forum and raise a diffused and offtopic debate over this. I mentioned it as an example for a temporary solution. I am using a 4A on my Pi 2. Its pricey, its overkill but it is very stable. Which seems to be the issue here.

“The Pi store” ? The official Raspberry Pi power supply is this one, which is 2 amps, not 1 amp:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/universal-power-supply/

I have one myself and it works perfectly on my Pi 2, whereas a couple of other 5v 2 amp supplies I have used before, which were also sold specifically for the Raspberry Pi by 3rd party suppliers could not reliably power my Pi 2. (Typically it would crash during bootup) Not all power adaptors with the same claimed specs are created equal unfortunately.

Fair enough, but keep in mind that you are relating your personal anecdotal experiences from probably just one or two devices, we are coming at it from the angle of hundreds of forum posts of people with similar issues and our standard advice on the matter of powering the Pi is based on the large sample size of these posts and their successful resolutions.

1 Like

As I knew nothing about Raspberry Pi back then, I did’nt question wether that charger was capable of running it or not.
I got it from here:

http://raspberrypi.dk/produkt/stromforsyning-raspberry-pi-eu-5volt-1ampere/

The discription reads: “Developed specifically for use with Raspberry Pi” lol … Lesson learned.

Really? So you buy anything from internet before checking the manufacturer own information? You live really dangerous!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/universal-power-supply/

As I said, I also bought a couple of “made for Pi” adaptors from a well known UK 3rd party supplier of Pi’s and accessories and they worked fine with my older Pi 1 B and Pi 1 B+ but were not able to reliably power my Pi 2, either failing to finish booting or crashing at random later on. Lesson learned here too.

Especially for the price I think the official adaptor is a good buy and I’ve no complaints with mine, so it’s the one I recommend as one known to work well with all models of Pi.

This is not a 3rd party supplier, it is the official danish supplier.
Bear in mind, EU countries cannot buy pi’s directly from the official store. We are forced to use our regional suppliers.

There is no way bypassing this. Even when I changed my IP adress using VPN, the official store emailed me to get it from my regional supplier. Kind of mafia’ish.