Osmc login fail

I have installed OSMC Directly onto Ubuntu 14.04 .Is it right ?
Thanks

Step 1.
I visited a sight Install package home:osmc / osmc-installer
Step 2.
I installed osmc via command line based on step 1
Step 3
I run ssh osmc@10.140.1.96

where 10.140.1.96 is ip address of my pc that i have installed oscmc.

So is there any wrong in my steps ?Please i need help

Ok, I see what you have done now, I thought as much. You’ve installed the ‘OSMC Installer’ and you were expecting to get the full OSMC media centre experience.

OSMC is a full operating system in its own right, think of it as Debian Linux and the Kodi media player bundled together into one system (with some special unique features too).

What you’ve downloaded and installed is the OSMC installer which is used for preparing an SD card so that OSMC can be installed on a Raspberry Pi, Apple TV or Vero. There will eventually be an OSMC release for x86_64 architecture so that you can run this on your PC but it’s not ready yet (even then, it’ll be a replacement for your operating system (Ubuntu in your case), not something you can install within your existing system).

In the meantime, if you just want to have the media player program on your Ubuntu PC then install the Kodi package. You won’t get some OSMC specific things like the App Store though.

Further to my previous post,

‘osmc@10.140.1.96’ simply doesn’t mean anything to your PC, that’s why it doesn’t know what to do. The other command people suggested was ‘ssh osmc@10.140.1.96’, what this is trying to do is to initiate a secure shell connection as the user osmc to the device 10.140.1.96 (this should have really been the IP address of the device running OSMC and not the IP address of your PC itself).

Hope that helps to explain where you were going wrong.

Sure, It helps a lot…Thank you very much for the clarifiactions.Appriciate jb2cool