OSMC networking settings fails to load (no icon & error in debug log)

I am running the latest November update on RPi2. If I open OSMC settings there is no icon for NETWORK there at all (there’s an empty space where it should be in the circle). In the debug log I think the cause may be revealed: bad XML format (below). See line 970 onward in FULL log here: KodiLog - Pastebin.com. Network is working, but I can’t make any changes in the GUI.

Can anyone help, please?

12:13:24 32.310211 T:1767511072 DEBUG: OSMC NETWORKING advancedsettings file exists = True
12:13:24 32.314213 T:1767511072 DEBUG: osmc_settings: OSMCSetting __ script.module.osmcsetting.networking __ failed to import
12:13:24 32.314419 T:1767511072 DEBUG: osmc_settings: <class ‘xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError’>
12:13:24 32.314533 T:1767511072 DEBUG: osmc_settings: not well-formed (invalid token): line 3, column 31

CC @Karnage

Your advanced settings file cannot be parsed.

I think it might have to do with using this for your commented out lines ‘<!— —>’ instead of '.

At least, that breaks the xml parser in my code editor.

Try deleting those lines and see if it fixes the problem.

Thank you Karnage; that fixed it. I removed all comments from advancedsettings.xml and now the NETWORK icon is back inside the OSMC settings program. I wonder if this means my advancedsettings.xml was never being respected\used at all before now?

Question: how did you know it was an issue inside advancedsettings.xml? The errors in the log around line 970 suggested (to me at least) that it was somewhere else. Also, at the top of the log (lines 48-89) I see that XML imported and there are no errors there (maybe it doesn’t actually parse the file there?). Perhaps it was line 982 (below) that told you (parse_advanced_settings)?

File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmc_advset_editor.py", line 53, in parse_advanced_settings

Just trying to figure out how you figured it out, so I won’t need to bother y’all next time.

Someone else recently had a similar issue when they had an empty advancedsettings node in their file (not an empty file, the file simply had <'advancedsettings></'advancedsettings>).

I see. So experience is the answer. :smile: Anyway, thanks again!