OSMC remote no longer controls audio through receiver - "Volume passthrough audio in use"

So this was something that always just worked. :slight_smile:
The OSMC remote with my Vero 4k, controlled audio through my home theater/receiver.

Now, when I use the volume +/- it controls the OSMC/Kodi audio DB levels, and during a movie/tv show says ā€œVolume passthrough audio in useā€ and wonā€™t change volume.
Using the Denon receiver remote works as expected.
Using the Kore Kodi remote app does not.

I saw a previous thread from last year which said turn off all devices for at least 10 mins, did that, no change.
Not sure what Iā€™m missing or how/why this would change.
No recent TV or receiver firmware updates.
Only recent update was OSMC for Kodi 18.5ā€¦but almost positive I watched content after the upgrade
with no issue.
Any OSMC settings I should be looking at?

Quick question before I go find the steps to upload logs - do the logs document and list your entire library and other personal info? Not crazy about that if they do and making them viewable to the whole board, is there a way to scrub them? Just curious.

Thanks for reading!

If youā€™re watching with passthrough, then we canā€™t adjust the volume via Kodi, because otherwise weā€™d be sending PCM. Passthrough means sending the audio stream without any modification to it.

However, sometimes it is possible for volume up/down to send a CEC signal to the AVR to adjust volume. This mightā€™ve been what was happening before.

When you were changing volume before, did you see the volume changing on your receiverā€™s display?

Yes it did control the volume of the receiver and you could see it changing. Confirmed

Did you change anything in settings>system>input>peripherals>cec adapter? Did you change any CEC settings on your TV or AVR? Where/are you using CEC for the remote controls other than the volume? If so is that still working? It sound like the Vero is not seeing a amplifier on the bus so it defaulting back to internal volume instead of sending the CEC signal.

As for the logs we cannot see inside your database. Just what you have done for the last two reboots. Usernames and passwords are scrubbed automatically for most people. If they are put in a fstab file and for some sources they are not. There is a guide around here somewhere that gives the command to generate the logs without uploading so you can view them without uploading.

EDIT: to view and sanitize your logs if neededā€¦

Sanitizing your logs

While generally the script tries to hide all passwords we know that certain people still are not comfortable with any information shared. If you are one of those first create the file locally, edit it and then upload it. To do so use:

grab-logs -A -C
nano /boot/uploadlog.txt
paste-log /boot/uploadlog.txt

If you upload a such altered log file please let us know so that we donā€™t wonder about possible gaps.

Thanks for the great info, much appreciated.
So, I did not make any changes on any devices and wasnā€™t even aware of the section you pointed me too.
That said, i went to CEC under Peripherals and confirmed it was enabled, exited out, restarted the system one more timeā€¦and itā€™s working again. :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I dunno what to say ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Very odd. I mean, happy itā€™s working again, but baffled as to what happened.
Thanks for the quick repliesā€¦I guess this is resolved :slight_smile:

1 Like

CEC has caused many headaches before and it will continue to do so.

Funny, you are describing the exact same scenario with me right down to the Denon receiver. Unfortunately for me toggling the enable cec, save and reboot does nothing to correct the situation.

Likely the ongoing Vero 4K/4K+ CEC issue.
See:

1 Like