OSMC Samba woes

Reinstate the automount template section and add browseable = no within that section.

That should do the trick.

The template doesn’t create the usershares it only modifies their properties.

The shares are added by a udisks-glue.conf script but it’s best not to edit that.

hmm, no change. Here is my samba-local.conf file:
[global]
workgroup = HOME
#usershare allow guests = yes
#security=share
security=user
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = no
unix extensions = no
lock directory = /var/cache/samba
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes
log level = 1
[osmc]
browsable = yes
read only = no
#guest ok = yes
valid users = osmc
path = /home/osmc
[devices]
browsable = yes
read only = no
#guest ok = yes
valid users = osmc
path = /media
force user = root
[automount template]
browseable = no
-valid = no
valid users = osmc
path = %P
hide files = /$RECYCLE.BIN/System Volume Information/desktop.ini/thumbs.db/

You removed

usershare template share = automount template

From the global section. Without that it doesn’t know to use the template. Put that line back too.

See below:

Yeah that worked. The file I am using is the one from a previous samba version. Is there anything else missing that could cause conflicts?

A lot of changes were made to smb.conf in the last update, I would recommend using it as a template for smb-local.conf and then re-add your customisations like hiding the auto mount shares.

Got it. I reworked it and seems to work well. I’ll keep it this way till I can get the other to connect correctly and my auto syncing program reworked with the new paths.

Hi,

I initially could not access samba so I change the map to guest = bad password

This got it working as guest, but the I added thd osmc user with the smbpasswd -a osmc command.

Now it works correctly.

Al

How did you install samba ?

We add the osmc user with smbpasswd automatically when installing samba via the App store, so there should be no need for you to do this.

I too am having issues sharing my video from one pi to another.

I’m a complete noob to most of this but am learning by trial and error. Is there a tutorial on the above discussion or even a step by step “how to” that I can follow along?

I have three pi’s running the newest version of osmc. Main one has external HDs attached via a powered usb. Main one works great to watch but my ultimate goal is to share the data to the other two. I installed SMB from the App Store on the main pi and attempted to access from the others.

I can’t even see the main one when I go to

Videos - files - files - add videos - browse - Windows network (SMB)

I’m going to attempt a few things first to see if I can get it working. But is some brave soul wants to help me figure out exactly how to accomplish what I’m attempting. I’d be forever in your debt.

Wish me luck

Nope… still no luck… is what I’m attempting to do really that complicated? there has to be something that either I’m doing or not enabling.

Now… I can’t see my main pi with the HDs connected from my windows 7 machine… always was able to prior under network …

I know I don’t know much about this but would sure appreciate someone answering a few basic questions if at all possible

Thanks

@Kodak to be honest going thru all the potential steps with you would be a bit to much but here some steps to look at.

1. If you installed the samba server via app store on your main Pi you are nearly done. So if you have a problem finding it from your other PI’s you would need to troubleshoot that first. Login on the Pi and check if the samba server is running with systemctl status samba . As a next step check if you can see the shares locally with smbclient -L localhost to execute that command you would first need to install smbclient with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install smbclient

2. If you confirmed that locally all shares are visible you should be able to access them from the other Pi’s information you can find here http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Adding_Remote_sources

3. If you really wanna do a complex setup where you also want to share the library between the Pi’s you would need to watch this http://kodi.wiki/view/Mysql

Awesome. Thanks for your input

I’ll wok with those over the weekend and report back. So much to learn and sometime so frustrating but all part of the process

Thanks again!

login as: osmc
osmc@192.168.2.75’s password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
osmc@osmc:~$ systemctl status samba

• samba.service - Samba Server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/samba.service; disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)
    osmc@osmc:~$ login as: osmc
    login: Cannot possibly work without effective root
    osmc@osmc:~$ osmc@192.168.2.75’s password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
osmc@osmc:~$ systemctl status samba

• samba.service - Samba Server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/samba.service; disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)
    osmc@osmc:~$

This is what I got … I did SSH into it and typed systemctl status samba

no idea what this means if someone can help me or direct me where I can research and find out Thanks

@Kodak when you are logged into the device as osmc via ssh try and run this command to see if it works

sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart

If there are no errors you should see an output like this

//
[ ok ] Restarting smbd (via systemctl): smbd.service.
//

Hope this helps!!

My mistake, I forgot sudo infront.
Please execute sudo systemctl status samba

@geedee init.d scripts a depreciated on debian jessie and you should use systemctl instead

Ok. I take it that anyplace that I am specifying “init.d scripts” I can replace it with systemctl now.

:disappointed: now I’ll have to re-learn all my linux stuff … 2 whole weeks worth of stuff to relearn :grin:

Not my choice but the reality coming down on us.

Absolutely. It is a good change though. Lesser chances of making typo’s.

I want to thank you for the input you gave me… .as I searched and searched I finally found a solution that works! At least for now…

http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

This link… gave very specific instructions… everything was in order… no guessing… and now on all three pi’s I can share and watch data over the network.

I thought this would be possible without my win 7 machine and from everthing I read it is . but, I can’t seem to get it working as you see in my previous posts.

If you know of a step by step guide that can walk a noob through the process that truly works please let me know the link. I don’t mind the trial and error process but it truly gets frustrating for us out here that don’t know the language.

Again, thanks for helping… I truly appreciate it.