OSMC Update Error

Hello,

First time posting and am a complete n00b to OSMC, so please be kind.

So I’ve tried to do both a manual and an automatic update and keep on getting an error. Here is the error log:
http://paste.osmc.io/pogefuvahe

Basically, the steps I’ve tried are:

1. Restarting/rebooting the Pi
  2. turning off automatic backups

Thoughts? I see there are some xml errors (advanced, keyboard, remote, sources) but not exactly sure how to remediate them (or even if theses are the cause of the error message). Help would be greatly appreciated.

Don’t worry about them, they are just there because you don’t have those files, but that is not an issue because they are only special configs.

Your issue is further down “(“E:Malformed Description-md5 line; doesn't have the required length (32 != 29) 'd04c49e586690550faf07d7124752', E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.”,”

This seems to be a problem with your APT cache, not sure if it is local or remote caused. Maybe @sam_nazarko has a suggestion

@fzinken thanks.

The md5 check error is bizarre. Could you explain what it means? Like I understand that md5 sum check are to verify the files are authenticity or integrity of a file but not sure how relates to the cache for APT.

Is APT cache related to the “advance Packaging Tool” like the “apt-get”?

Anyways, let me know and I’ll try to remediate…

All,

So I figured out the issue and remediate it after a bit of head scratching. So basically, I had a corruption or an issue with a file in the APT cache which was halting the update process. If you have something similar… Try the following.

SSH into the OSMC machine
Run these commands:
sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo mkdir /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get update
When it completes, reboot your Pi
Manually execute the update command within the GUI.

Everything seems to be updating now and running like a charm.

Again BIG thanks to @fzinken for the nudge in the right direction!

1 Like

For future reference the recommended way to delete your APT cache is:

sudo apt-get clean

1 Like