OSMC Update Error

Well, I get this message box every day:

OSMC Update Error
Error installing:
Please report this on the OSMC forum.

I just ignored it because I don’t know what good it will do, but since it’s insisting.

I don’t have it connected to internet. OSMC network settings clearly states that there is no internet access, so obviously OSMC knows this. I don’t know why it’s still trying to update and interrupting me with this message every day…

Upload debug logs. Login via ssh, paste this, then press enter:

grab-logs -A -C

Logs will be copied to /boot, you can then copy them onto a usb drive and upload them from your computer.

grab-logs -A is not going to provide a URL whilst the device isn’t connected to the internet. For OP’s issue, you can direct logs to the root of the sdcard and then, from another networked computer, paste for inspection. Otherwise, is it not possible to connect this device (you haven’t even told us what device this actually is?), allow the upgrade to run, then return to it’s desired configuration?

Sorry, totally missed that part. Edited my post accordingly.

Hello, thanks for replying.

It is possible, but I don’t know why I should connect it to internet and allow the update to run since I’m not interested in updating. That would also prevent me from generating a meaningful log of the problem in the future.

I am interested in not having non-user-initiated popup dialogue boxes in Kodi though, if possible. It’s not as if it informed me of anything important that requires my attention, like low battery or out of storage. It only informed me that it was doing something contradictory to its own knowledge of its network setup.

The device is a Pi 3.

I will consider posting logs if I can determine that care has been taken to exclude personal information from them (unlike e.g. Plex’s logs).

Did you have a look in the update section of the MyOSMC addon? We have provided this option for quite some time.

That will be for you to determine. Should be reasonable enough to do if you first use grab-logs -A -C to grab the logs locally for sanitization before uploading to a paste site.

That’s unfortunate as our updates are provided to not only improve performance but security as well.

If you don’t want updates and you don’t want OSMC to check for them, then disable updates.

I’m not sure what the question is.

I don’t think you understand the situation completely. When my device has no internet access, it should not try to update and then interrupt me when it inevitably fails. This is a sanity check and has nothing to do with whatever automatic update preferences I have. I don’t think that it is unreasonable to have automatic updates enabled at all times – which is what I want – but at the same time only expect them to actually be performed when there is an internet connection, in contrast to having the system act all surprised and disturb me if there happens to be no internet connection.

As mentioned above, I want automatic updates enabled. When I say “I’m not interested in updating” it should be read within the context of this thread, i.e. what I mean is that discussing workarounds to perform an update is off-topic. This is, as far as I can tell, a bug/error report, since the message clearly told me to report it.

I have the same issue, every OSMC related install fails, whether it is an update or when I’m trying to install Samba from the ‘shop’

No idea what’s going on here. What logs are relevant, so I can upload them?

(my Pi3 is connected to the internet)

Regards
Joost

I don’t think your issue is related if your Pi is connected to the Internet. Start a new thread.

Got you. The reason you’re seeing this message is because OSMC is likely connected to a WiFi network or LAN but no internet connection is present.

ConnMan and Kodi’s internet presence indicators are not very reliable. So I don’t think we want to disable the check in these conditions, but instead get rid of the error message.

Cc @Karnage

Thoughts?

You’re right, there is wifi without internet.

It sounds like a good idea to always check for connectivity and just not display the message, as you say, since the only problem is the dialogue box, which can even pop up over the video playback view in some circumstances.

If there were a standard way for me to indicate that a wifi access point does not provide internet access, by e.g. clearing DNS server info on it, I wouldn’t mind doing that (for the sake of all devices on the network), but I’m currently not aware of any generally accepted way of doing so. If there is one it’s my bad.

It’s impossible to accurately determine internet connectivity until we get an error. This has been discussed a lot before on the forum.

To get the prompt during playback you would have to start the video at the exact time OSMC checks for updates. We do not display dialogues if Kodi is playing, so this is very unlucky

So it looks like we should just remove the error message in this situation. But realistically if you are spending such periods of time offline then your update schedule should be manual and you should be checking yourself when connected to Internet

Thanks for the insights. Whichever way you think is best.

Disagree! Sounds more like a good strategy for forgetting to update completely. Internet access comes and goes, e.g. when switching ISPs, outages, broken equipment, visiting friends, moving, taking breaks, travelling, mobile tethering, etc. I think it’s a reasonable situation to be handled gracefully :slight_smile: and I would like to avoid running cron jobs on my brain if at all possible. Manual updates are for those who require complete control for various reasons, not those who have sporadic internet access.

At any rate, you seem to already be onto a possible solution.

If you still require logs, let me know.

I think maybe we should not warn so much. Maybe in the longer term also ask about people’s network situation when they connect to a hotspot, like Windows does.

Sam

Actually, this just happened in a video that had been playing non-stop for 22 minutes (playback started through the Plex plugin), so it’s not just bad luck. Unless it took at least 22 minutes to determine there was no connection.

Post a debug log if this is the case. Before checking for updates OSMC checks for playback state. When this happens, it’s written to the log.