Pi3 w/ OSMC not displaying media on NTSF HDD

Well, if connecting the drive directly to the PC with either cable (the Y cable or the cable on the left) does not work, then you have a problem with your drive. If it works, then the next step would be to try it with the hub to the PC. If that works, then back to trying it on the Pi.

The back end of it has a wall outlet, if thats what your referring to.

Yeah it didnt register to to pc with the hub set up and all that, so im 99% sure i just screwed up the setup. It did register with the Pi, but the same issue persisted (not showing the files in it)

So the two values you mentioned are printed on the powered hub

Well maybe something else not working. As you are more comfortable in Windows does it show up in Disk Management when you connect it.

Nope it doesnt, so that probably means im hooking it up wrong lol. When i plug it in normally it does show up though. Sorry i didnt respond, it wouldnt let me respond for 21 hours since im new.

So the drive works OK when connected directly to your PC, but when you try the use the hub, it does not work, correct?

Iā€™m assuming that the white tower with 6 USB ports on the front (in your picture) is the USB hub?
Are you connecting the drive to one of the front USB ports? Iā€™m guessing that there is another USB port on the back of the hub somewhere; that should be connected to your PC, and of course the power needs to be connected.

Yeah, im only getting power from the hub, so if i plugged my hdd into the hub and the hub into the pi, it wouldnt actually be sending data to the pi from the hdd through the hub sinceā€¦ thats not how it works lol the usb ports on the hub arent connected per say. if i has a usb to usb i think that may work? that way id have one of the usbā€™s going to the hub and the other to the pi. Just trying to figure out what i gotta buy on amazon to make this work haha

Iā€™m totally confused now. Just what is that white thing? A USB Hub? Or something else?

USB Hubs usually have ports that you connect the devices to, a single port to connect to the computer, and a power port.

I think i may be confused on what the word hub means, but now youve given me a great idea haha i think i actually do have a hub though! Basically its a tower that just sends power to whatevers conected to it. Ima see soon if i can get it to work now haha

Ummm, that actually should be exactly how using a HDD, powered hub, and raspberry pi should work.

Welp apparently that is not how mine works lol

Then you donā€™t have a USB hub, or you are connecting it wrong. A USB hub supplies power to the devices, and multiplexes them into a single port to the PC.

EDIT: or you have a non-powered USB hub, where the PC still supplies the power to the devices.

Any details of what the device is you have? Brand/Model?
From what I understand you are writing it is not a USB Hub but only a powersupply/charger

Yep thats what i have, thats what i was trying to decribe earlier haha

Ok what you need is a powered USB Hub.
Or alternatively a quality power supply as that drive should be able to be powered by the Pi (can validate later today)

Alright so i plugged the powered hub into the wall, then plugged the usb hub into the powered hub (tried 1A and 2.1A), then plugged the hdd into the hub and the hub into the computer. The hdd showed up, so that was good news. Plugged that into the pi and still having the same problem, damnat lol i bought another usb splitter because the hdd light kept going on and off, although it felt like it stayed on and did connect to the computer, but whatever

Stop using the word ā€œpowered hubā€ for something that is not a USB Hub but just a USB power supply or whatsoever.

Provide grab-logs -J after you plugged it in.

Also as I suggested above either get a real powered USB Hub or proper powersupply for the he Pi

The power supply i got for the pi was what came with it. If i got a higher current power supply, would that fix my problem? I figured thats not how it worked lol if thatll do the trick though then ill do that

Ima whip out the DMM tonight and see whats really getting power and how much so i know if im messing stuff up or not.