Play BD, DVD and CD Disks

Yesterday I connected an external USB disk player to my Pi 3 B+ for the first time.
The device supports any kind of disks, data/mp3/audio/video CD, DVD up to BD in their differrent layer architectures.

Now when I try to play back various disks, all that works is playing back standard audio CDs.
For the other disk types I see the following behavior:

• Data CD-RW with MP3: OSMC crashes with this guy: :frowning_face:

• DVD (non-protected): Nothing happens when you try to select disk playback menu item (with the OK button of my remote or the Return key of my keyboard), even though it says in the upper right corner of the screen that it’s properly mounted, displaying the proper disk title

• BluRay (non-protected): Nothing happens when you try to select disk playback menu item (with the OK button of my remote or the Return key of my keyboard), even though it says in the upper right corner of the screen that it’s properly mounted, displaying the proper disk title

I read through this forum and several other sites, and it seems I’d probably need to install some additional packages?
There’s things like MPlayer, udev and even a third one of which I forgot the name (does some abstraction layer things for the player). But what of all these do I really (still) need?
On the other hand, why can’t I play unprotected DVDs (with my home movies)?
And about BD, should it be possible to get that to work at all?