"Play disc" menu visible all the time?

Hello! An OSMC skin question.

I’m trying to get the “Play disc” menu item to show up all the time, not just when a disc is inserted. I’ve added <visible>true</visible> to mainmenu.DATA.xml like so:

<shortcut>
     <label>341</label>
      <label2>32034</label2>
      <icon>DefaultDVDFull.png</icon>
      <thumb />
      <action>XBMC.PlayDVD()</action>
      <visible>true</visible>
</shortcut>

But to no avail.

I’m on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. My DVD drive otherwise plays discs perfectly, with the menu item showing when I insert a disc.

Have you customized your home menu via the skin settings before or are you using the default layout?

I’ve customised the home menu, yes.

Via the home menu customization dialog, not by manually editing xml files?

Yes, through the settings menu, not manually.

Ok, just wanted to be sure. What you may do after editing the file you’ve mentioned: go to the home menu customization dialog, delete the respective sub menu entry and re-add it via the ‘Restore menu items’ button. Click ‘Restore an original menu item’ and select the ‘Play disc’ entry. After closing the dialog and returning to the home menu, it should be re-built with the new visibility condition.

But do keep in mind this will probably be overwritten with the next update.
Why would you want this menu item visible all the time anyway? It serves no purpose, if no disc is actually inserted.

I’ll give that a try, thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why would you want this menu item visible all the time anyway? It serves no purpose, if no disc is actually inserted.

It’s an odd request I know, but serves to remind me and others that the system is indeed capable of playing discs. Each to their own!

I tried your suggestion on a fresh install but no luck. No matter which XML files I edited, it wouldn’t work. Or it would work, but it would immediately change back.

I managed to figure this out a much simpler way, by creating a new menu entry running the command “PlayDisc()”.

I also created sub menus for “EjectTray()” and “RipCD”. That easy.

That’s also an option :+1:t2: