Playing copy-protected dvds?

This does not work for me. The dvd plays in our regular player though. I cannot copy the dvd files to hf as it is copy-protected. Is there any way around this? The dvd was fantastic beasts (not very good) and yes we bought the dvd legally.

https://www.makemkv.com/

This will allow you to extract the movie file from the disk and remove the copy protection.

I tend to RIP it under Linux just fine. Most copy protections can be circumvented there.
The very hard ones - very honestly, I procure the Digital copy elsewhere. Note, I own the Media, I just want to watch it on my Player without installing the spyware that goes with it to enable me looking it under windows (Usually you can go into a Sony site to download the Spyware that lets you watch it on your Windows device. Also sends telemetry data back home and all the associated crap). Very intrusive.

@Smurphy, what do you use to Rip under Linux? My storage/tvheadend box is an OpenSuse one.

I wholeheartedly agree and have hated copy protection ever since Lotus started punching holes in 5.25" disks… Copy protection does not stop the professional bootleggers and only create a hassle for hones people that buy the material. We resorted to viewing with a regulat DVD-player, but then without surround.

I doubt that I would want to watch this again. I liked the HP movies, but this was very thin and mainly relied on special effects. I do want to be prepared for the future. Testing Make mkv now.

Works perfectly!

Using Handbrake to RIP the movies. Sometimes I have to fiddle with the Filesystem mounting, as some copy protections simulated a broken device etc. In the past, I followed various workarounds to rip the DVD/BluRay myself. Now I just get over to Plan-B. Takes too much time, and that is something I don’t have anymore :frowning:

1 Like

I use MakeMKV to rip everything from DVD to UHD on Linux Mint.

Great. I will try installing it on Linux as well.