Problem with mounting two external hard disk on a hub

Hello (sorry for my english, i’m french)

I have an raspberry pi 3 running OSMC. I use it like a mediace center oubf course and an FTP server and a NAS with samba. I had learn todo that with tutorial and I sucess to make it, with an external HDD USB. (model : TOURO S)

After few month I buy a second HDD (almost the same as the first, just the RPM are different ; model : TOURO S mobile) to make back-up with rsync and crontab. I had many problem to power them because of the power supply and th fuse of the pi. Finaly i decided to buy an powered USB hub with 4 usb ports. No more problem with the powering but…

When I mount them manually, there is no problem but with the fstab each time I reboot the pi, the second HDD isn’t mount.
I try with /dev/sd** and the UUID, it is the same result.

osmc@raspberrypi:~$ mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=370520k,nr_inodes=92630,mode=75 5)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,stripe=1024,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmod e=000)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xa ttr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatim e,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blki o)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mem ory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,de vices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,fr eezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ne t_cls)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,time out=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
systemd-1 on /boot type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=33,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5, maxproto=5,direct)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/NAS type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_othe r,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda2 on /media/TOURO Mobile USB3.0 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,u ser_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437 ,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=75104k,mode=70

“/dev/sdb1 on /media/NAS” show that it’s OK for the first HDD and " /dev/sda2 on /media/TOURO Mobile USB3.0" show that it don’t sucess to mount to the forlder /media/backup

osmc@raspberrypi:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID=“a0d13c40” PTTYPE=“dos”
/dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID=“9345-7DA2” TYPE=“vfat” PARTUUID=“a0d13c40-01”
/dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID=“4bb0e73c-aa63-4b2b-bdbb-13fc5b0fde42” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“a0d13c40-02”
/dev/sda1: PARTLABEL=“Microsoft reserved partition” PARTUUID=“0644328d-98fc-401a-9692-30afa1c37346”
/dev/sda2: LABEL=“TOURO Mobile USB3.0” UUID=“805684F25684E9EC” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“53d93b49-6b5e-44d4-9a4a-b6d671755231”
/dev/sdb1: LABEL=“TOURO S” UUID=“B866A77366A73154” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTUUID=“d232d213-01”

Here me fstab file :

/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0
UUID=“B866A77366A73154” /media/NAS auto noatime,nofail 0 0
UUID=“805684F25684E9EC” /media/backup auto noatime,nofail 0 0

I need some help please !

osmc@Vero4Ktesting:/media$ cat README
#### Notice ####

This directory is for automounted drives. Empty directories here are purged on reboot.

If you wish to configure an /etc/fstab mount for a drive that is attached permanently, you should do so in the /mnt directory

You mean that I must mount the two HDD in the /mnt directory, not in the /medi directory ?

If you are going to mount by fstab, that’s what the README advises, yes.

It seems to be working ! I will try some reboot, I hope it will be stable !

Thank you a lot !

After some reboot, the problem is always there…

You need to post your new fstab, and a new description of the problem [as presumably the problem is not identical]. What does dmesg | sd report?

Have a look at the output of the command

sudo mount -av

so my new fstab

/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0
UUID=“B866A77366A73154” /mnt/NAS auto noatime,nofail 0 0
UUID=“805684F25684E9EC” /mnt/backup auto noatime,nofail 0 0

and the problem is always the same, the first HDD is mounted in /mnt/NAS so it’s OK and the other isn’t mount at /mnt/backup :

devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=370520k,nr_inodes=92630,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /boot type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=33,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
/dev/sda2 on /media/TOURO Mobile USB3.0 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/NAS type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=75104k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)

and here the result of the command sudo mount -av :

osmc@raspberrypi:~$ sudo mount -av
/boot : ignored
/mnt/NAS : already mounted
Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the ‘fuser’ command.

Try mounting the problem drive in Windows then safely remove it

I plug the HDD on my computer with windows 7, I remove safely the external disk, plug on the hub an reboot the pi. The problem is always there :

devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=370520k,nr_inodes=92630,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /boot type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=33,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
/dev/sda2 on /media/TOURO Mobile USB3.0 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=75104k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/NAS type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

I have unmounted the DD and mount it manually, it’s working. The problem is only at the reboot.

And after a second reboot, the problem is worst, the first DD (TOURO S → /mnt/NAS) is no more auto mounted :

Exactly what powered hub are you using? These erratic behaviors you seem to be experiencing are quite similar to an insufficient power problem.

I use this powered hub

The intensity of the power supply is 2A and only the two HDD are pluged.

So attempting the use of one HDD at a time, while leaving the other disconnected, works and mounts at boot correctly?

I unplugged one of the two HDD, and I use only one (TOURO S which is normaly mounted at /mnt/NAS). I reboot about ten time and the result is totaly random. 2 or 3 times the HDD don’t appear at all with the command “mount” ; 2 times it mount in /media/TOURO S and the other times the disk is mount in /mnt/NAS correctly.

And sometimes the disk at the beginning of the reboot is very noisy. It makes a “clicking” sound.

This is quite typical of the behavior of mechanical drives that are underpowered.

@DrBob: So there are two possible root causes

1. the TOURO S is OK but the hub does not provide the power required
  2. the hub is OK but the hdd has some issues

To verify simply reconnect the TOURE S 10 times to your USB 3.0 port of the PC. If it also fails some times I think you have a bad hdd otherwise your hub is a mess.
Think about USB 3.0 should allow up to 900 mA and a native USB 3.0 portable could even require more than 500 mA which is the max. an USB 2.0 port can offer. Only if the portable disk is guaranteed to work with USB 2.0 you know it will work with only 500 mA.

So, an USB 3.0 hub with all ports full powered requires at least 4 x 900 mA = 3,6 A … what the hell should this tiny 2 A power supply coming with the hub? Invest some more money to get a better USB 3.0 hub.

I have unplugged the second HDD from the hub and I plugged it directly to the PI and let the first HDD on the hub.
I use the /dev/**** in the fstab file (here /dev/sdb2/) for the hdd plugged on the PI. And it seems to be working after few reboots.
At the beginning, I couldn’t use /dev/**** because it was changing at each reboot (because of the hub I think).

I will make some test with rebooting the PI and rsync commands.