Problem with mounts

I’m an absolute Linux greenhorn.

I’ve got the following setup:
Raspberry Pi2 with a DVB-C tuner and TVheadend
Freenas running on a PC

I am really happy with OSMC on my Raspberry an TVheadend runs smoothly. Streaming to other devices works without problems but:
I am not able to mount a share from my NAS in a way TVheadend is able/permitted to create and save files on it.
Yesterday I’ve spent couple of hours with tutorials on how to mount NFS and SMB shares but I could not get further than seeing the content of a folder.

I think that my problem is to understand the osmc file system and to define the right folder for recordings in TVheadend.

In all of the tutorials people define the recordings folder like /dev/myusb/… or something like that but if i log in to my raspberry through SSH as osmc I think that I don’t even have the possibility to see mounted devices.
If I type “dir” I can see empty folders named Video Music… and so on.
Therefore I think that my main problem is that i just see the user folder of osmc i guess?
How can i tell TVheadend to use a folder which I have created here. Should it be /osmc/recordings for example?

My second question would be how I can see the permissions of a mounted network share.
As mentioned I was able to mount a SMB share but I am not sure if I have write permissions.
My Windows computers are able to read, write and delete without a user name in this folder.

As you might see I don’t even know where to begin or what exactly my problem is :frowning:

ls -lah executed in the folder will show you the rights of the folder it self and all files it includes

Share your fstab entry that you add for the SMB share for us to help you

Also as which user is tvheadend server running?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Here is my mount (SMB):
As a root pwd I’ve used the root pwd from my Freenas and it seems as the mount works as I can see the test.txt I have created:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo mount //192.168.2.99/filme/Recordings Aufnahmen
Password for root@//192.168.2.99/filme/Recordings: **********
osmc@osmc:~$ cd Aufnahmen
osmc@osmc:~/Aufnahmen$ dir
test.txt

osmc@osmc:~/Aufnahmen$ ls -lah
total 4.5K
drwxrwxr-x 2 1001 root 0 Oct 12 19:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 osmc osmc 4.0K Oct 12 21:01 …
-rwxrwxr-x 1 1001 root 0 Oct 12 19:07 test.txt

The user of TVheadend is osmc

You have to mount it via fstab to define osmc as the owner. Check the fstab entry in this thread

I have added this line:

//192.168.2.99/filme/Recordings /mnt/Aufnahmen cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,iocharset=utf8,user,username=xxxxx,password=xxxxxxx,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 0 0

whereas username is my FREENAS user and password too

After a restart I can’t see anything in mount

osmc@osmc:~$ mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=370536k,nr_inodes=92634,mode=75 5)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,stripe=1024,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmod e=000)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xa ttr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatim e,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blki o)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mem ory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,de vices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,fr eezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ne t_cls)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,time out=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437 ,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
sysfs on /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_cur_freq type sysfs (rw ,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=75108k,mode=70 0,uid=1000,gid=1000)

It’s an automount that behave a bit different

1. Have you created the /mnt/Aufnahmen folder?
  2. What does ls -lah /mnt/Aufnahmen gives you?

I missed to do that but now it’s done:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/Aufnahmen
osmc@osmc:~$ cd /mnt/Aufnahmen
osmc@osmc:/mnt/Aufnahmen$ ls -lah /mnt/Aufnahmen
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Oct 13 08:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Oct 13 08:15 …

I am just restarting and after a restart it should work?

I assume so otherwise post output of dmesg or journaltctl

It worked! Thank you so much!