Problems with official remote on Vero 4k

Hi,

I usually use my vero 4k in the living room with my projector and harmony remote.

All is well.

I have recently moved it to the bedroom and have dusted off the official rf remote.

I am sad to report that the remote is so slow and unreliable as to be unusable.

I am using the provided RF dongle and have tried it in both USB ports.
I have gone through the rebinding process below a couple of times with no success.

• Remove the USB from Vero 4K / Pi
  • Hold Home and OK button for 5 seconds or so, then the blue LED will keep flashing.
  • Plug in the USB receiver and the LED should flash 3 times after 5 seconds, indicating successful pairing.
  • Power off Vero 4K / Pi for 2 minutes. Turn it back on. The remote should now work.

(note after the 5-second press the blue light is just SOLID on not flashing, the rest of the process goes as described)

New battery installed.

The remote responds intermittently and very very slowly.

No issues at all when in the livingroom with the harmony.

Any ideas?

This is very unusual.

Please post some logs.

Did you change it with a new battery or just a battery lying around?

Can you try the remote in another room?

Logs at https://paste.osmc.tv/kigatopebi

Battery was brand new from new packet.

I’ll try another room shortly.

Jeff

Moved back to living room.

Same issues with official rf remote.

All fine with harmony.

Additional logs at

https://paste.osmc.tv/izejomiqan

Thanks

Thanks for the logs, I’ll check this tomorrow.

Hi Jeff,

Your logs show this frequently:

Oct 10 22:11:36 livingroom kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 8

The dongle keeps disconnecting and re-connecting, which will be causing your issues. You might need a new receiver which we can get out for you. Can you try the remote on another device and see if it’s problematic there too?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

The dongle/ remote exhibit exactly the same issues on both my mac and PC.

The pc continually makes the USB connecting/disconnecting chimes when the remote is plugged in and used.

So as you say it appears that there is something wrong with the dongle.

I can share an observation that the tolerances of the physical USB connector on the dongle are very close. It is very difficult to get the dongle into any USB socket. On the Vero it is almost impossible.

Possibly the close physical tolerances are stopping the electrical connection being reliable.

In any case a physical keyboard plugged into the vero in either port works fine and responsively.

The remote/dongle plugged into anything does not work well at all.

I agree that the issue is the dongle.

Jeff

Please start a support ticket with your order number so we can process this for you.