Random Crashings

Forgive me if I have missed something obvious. I have just had a year or so of excellent OSMC usage. Lately I’m getting the sad face. It crashes after some shows and now it’s crashing when I try and scan for new content to add to the media library. The crashes are usually as the video file ends.

https://paste.osmc.tv/aqadetabup

Thanks

While this could be a power supply issue there are also other errors in your logs. But only with debug enabled logs we could tell more.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I recreated the crash during a scan for new video content:

https://paste.osmc.tv/omemosowez

I’d re-install OSMC – you have other issues, like SMB server being broken.

Sam

That is as expected. Since I’ve had the Vero in 2019 I’ve had to reinstall OSMC about once every year because of various errors building up. As well as use all the standard media functions in the default skin, all I’ve done is upload music, TV and movies and refreshed the content. What exactly is the broken SMB server error, and how did my install end up with it? What other issues are there and is there something I’m doing that’s causing them?

Thanks for your time

It looks like you installed the SMB Server from the App Store.

I’m not sure why it’s broken and doubt it’s the cause of your original issue but a fresh installation won’t hurt.

You shouldn’t need to reinstall so frequently.

Completed a reinstall and most things are fine now. Do you know why certain TV shows that were recognised yesterday no longer are? I am using the exact same settings and pulling info from the TV database, only now some shows don’t get recognised (as well as artwork being different). I noticed also that previously it called it The TV Database (new), now it’s just The TV Database.

Some logs should let us see what’s going on with scrapers. Kodi changed the default scraper some time ago and it’s possible you are using a different scraper now.

Sam

It’s not a huge issue, just a little annoying. The current scraper is not as comprehensive as the one Kodi was using in my 2021 install. Some older shows it doesn’t recognize now and some that it does, it gets the wrong episode. Previously, everything conformed to what was listed on the TV Database website, which is my reference when I name files ‘s00e03’ etc. Is there a chance we can choose scrapers in future?

Thanks

You can choose your scraper now. You just need to go to videos>files>, highlight the source you want to change scrapers on, context menu>change content> and then choose what you want in the “choose information provider” section. Since you are on a new install when you go there the first time you will need to select the “get more” option and then install the scraper for TVDB. Once your finished with changing things over and you click OK on everything Kodi will ask you if you want to refresh everything in the library. It is very important that you allow this when dealing with TV show sources. Otherwise what happens is all your TV shows
are stored in the library with TMDB id’s and when you update your library the TVDB scraper can’t add content for any show that is still stored with a TMDB id.

Just as a general comment on the topic, if you have categorized your files around what is shown at TVDB then it is probably best to just switch everything over to TVDB. If you happen to run across some particular show that scrapes better using the opposite of what your using then you can do what I posted above but instead of doing it to the source location you navigate down till you get to the top level folder of the show.

One final note on swapping around scrapers with TV shows is that if you use nfo files the tvshow.nfo file contains a link to the scraping source. This must match the scraper that is set in Kodi or else it will not be able to scan any any new episodes that don’t have nfo files themselves.

Thank you for this, worked well.

1 Like