Rasberry PI 3: video play back incredibly laggy

I am trying to play back a 1080p .mkv file on my Rasberry Pi 3 OSMC set up and it is incredibly laggy in both video and audio. I don’t really know where to start as this issue wasn’t covered in the wiki. Help?

Depending on the format and content the Pi3 may not be able to play all kinds of 1080p.
It would be good if we could find out more about the file you are having issues playing. Please see the mediainfo section in How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

1 Like

Here is a link to my mediainfo results of the video I am trying to play: http://paste.osmc.io/ecegojecas.coffee
Here is a link to my osmc logs when I reboot and play my video: http://paste.osmc.io/pazotehehi

It is also worth adding that I am getting wacky behavior on a 720p file as well. The audio plays, but there is no video. Both the 1080p file and the 720p file work flawlessly on my laptop.

Going to try a fie that isn’t an .mkv file to see if that is successful.

The problem is not that the file is .mkv, the issue is that it’s hevc/h.265. There have been improvements, but pi was never designed for this. Some low bit rate 1080p hevc will play, but it obviously doesn’t like this file.

1 Like

‘Raw’ bd.iso with the menus stripped play just fine

1 Like

So what would you suggest for a pi3 for optimal viewing?

What is ‘Raw’ bd.iso ?

Would overclocking my PI or OMSC help this issue?

Not likely. As @ActionA said, the Pi was not designed to handle h.265.

1 Like

Is there a way to convert hevc/h.265 to bd.iso? If so how would I strip menus?

Transcoding h.265 to h.264 would be the best way to go. A google search will show how you can do this.

1 Like

Or buying a Vero 4k :wink:

By ‘raw’ I mean leaving the format as it is with no transcoding or compression. This is how I store DVD & BD I purchase.

You can either transcode your file into a pi supported format… Or with the BD disk handy, try grabbing the BD.iso image (and strip the menus)… Or grab a Vero4K