Raspberry Pi 2 released with OSMC support

I have my old sources.xml etc. that I just copy over, so manually.
But I believe I added it via the GUI the first time, but it was so long ago I cannot really remember.
I always try to use the ip address though since I have had issues with kodi/XBMC in the past.

Agreed and thanks again.

How is 10-bit H.264 playback on the Pi 2 and Vero? A lot of anime i watch is 1080p 10bit H.264, and ARM processors cant do hardware decoding for 10-bit, only software. 10-bit on the Pi using OSMC alpha 4 has a lot of artifacts and lag.

10-bit is going to be impossible on Pi and Vero, I have seen i7 boxes struggle with that.

Sam

Hi Sam, came here after searching for the status of the project in light of the rpi2 announcement. I wasnā€™t aware of the vero, but its specs are bang on what i have been looking for! This may not be the appropriate place to ask, but will the price come down at all to make it any closer to to cost of the rpi2? I understand the specs are much better (have been dying for gigabit and an improved usb controller!) but in light of the power of the new rapsberry pi 2 specs, the current price seems just a little too much.
Keep up the good work!
Lewis

Hi there,

Iā€™ve already highlighted why the Vero is the better device here and as the Pi 2 is aimed at a different market, it does not conflict with Vero much.

The price wonā€™t be coming down because that would mean we would have to compromise on the quality of the product. Unfortunately it will likely increase as we will have to register for VAT any day now. We offered very generous discounts to previous users, particularly to those who have been long term users of Raspbmc.

Weā€™re likely getting Netflix and other streaming services, so I think the price of the Vero is justified. Pi is very good bang for buck, but Vero is just in a league of its own.

S

Hi Sam,

I wish Iā€™d spotted OSMC and the Vero before buying an RPi 2 for my parents, but what is done is doneā€¦ I intend to provide them with access to my Kodi media library via a combination of Strongswan, NFS and MySQL. Is OSMC employing Raspbian Jessie or Wheezy as the base? When you switch to a full ARMv7 system, will you be using Debian/Raspbian? I ask because I need Strongswan 5 in particular and would definitely prefer to stick with prebuilt Strongswan packages. Iā€™m guessing that if youā€™re using Raspbian Wheezy, I may be able to grab the suite of Strongswan 5.2.1 packages from wheezy-backports for armhf and install them via dpkg without problems. Any advice duly appreciated!

We will be using Debian Jessie which is the version after Wheezy

Sam

Perfect. I installed OSMC last night and got everything set up without issue. Never thought Iā€™d say Iā€™m glad to be using systemd, but itā€™s automatic management of remote mounts is pretty slick, so hopefully no need to install networkmanager and have nm-dispatcher manage the VPN and NFS.

Out of interest, how did you configure your remote mounts with systemd ?

Should Rpi2 + OSMC Alpha 4 work with 1000 mA power supply? Mine is stuck in boot loop and displaying sad face =( in the middle.

Im running mine with a 550mA power supply, nothing connected to usb ports. Works for me.

Maybe it is SD-card then? Tried with 2 boards and with Open Elec, same result.

Yeah, sounds like it could be the sd card.

I bought 2,1A charger, did reinstall, and it works now with the same SD card.

Hello all,
I have now got everything working on the Alpha 4 RPi2 that I need (I am very impressed by the way) with one exception: VNC viewer (Not server, I want to do it the other way round RPI2-PC (Win8.1)). Can I do this yet? I canā€™t find a version that will work but I am a bit new to this so I have to admit a limited knowledge of repositories. I should mention, I am not looking to stream video content or perform any high level graphics stuff, just use Word on my PC via my RPI2. Any help would be appreciated.

you mean you want to open some kind of add-on in kodi that will connect via vnc to your windows station?

I installed Alpha 4 on my new Pi 2 and it is really great. Very snappy performance, much less lag time. I didnā€™t run any benchmarks, but I compared to OpenElec on the same hardware OSMC performs much better. Great Job!
Richard

i have also found osmc A4 on the rpi 2 so much faster than the openelec version
i found the openelec 503 stutters on the menus at times

looking forward to 8pm tomorrow

sorry, just got back. Yes, basically. VNCviewer was available on raspbmc (tightvncviewer I think.) but I canā€™t get anything to work on OSMC for the RPI2.