Reinstalling OSMC using USB

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a USB stick with a fresh installer of OSMC using the steps in the following article:

However, it appears, when selecting the Vero 4K as target, the USB option is grayed out. Is the article outdated and is this not possibble anymore?

I also checked if I could “ungray” the option, and this was possible for the Pi builds.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

The installer is very confusing for new users. Like many others, you have naturally assumed the options refer to the installation media - they do not. Simply click next and then you can select the USB drive as the destination.

At some point it would be great i OSMC could introduce the function that LibreELEC has to roll back via the GUI.

LibreELEC is a minimal (RO) only root filesystem.
OSMC is based on APT as a packaging system. As the designs are very different this is not possible.

We could introduce a rollback system, but then you wouldn’t be able to make any changes to the system at all. We don’t think this is ideal.

We explored btrfs snapshots some time ago but as Red Hat are phasing out support for the filesystem, it seems that it may see a more narrow audience and therefore experience regressions more frequently.

A new version of the OSMC installer is being worked on. We’ll definitely be seeking feedback on the improvements from users.

Sam