RPi3 Freezing up

I had the exact same problem as the OP. I just bought a new SD card and used dd to copy one card to the other and problem solved.

@slycar Thanks for pitching in mate, may I ask how old was your previous card and did osmc start freezing up after the jan update? Also were you running anything else off of the pi?

The card was a 8gb Kingston that was setup late 2016. The system kept crashing and neverending loops of sad faces in January. The only way to get started was a cold boot. Since using a new card (cheap China card) it hasnā€™t crashed once.

If a new card wouldnā€™t have solved the issue, I would have tried a new power supply. Iā€™ve noticed generic 5v 2a power supplies arenā€™t designed for long time use.

some updates on the situation. Every since rolling back to Dec everything seems peachy. I have installed hyperion and a few addons that cannot be named hereā€¦

I would upgrade to the Feb release in a couple of weeks and report back if things fall apart.

I assume that with the January upgrade the RPi3 draws more current for whatever reason. My original certified and high priced RPi PSU didnā€™t provide enough current for the January release, so thatā€™s why the RPi3 kept looking up.

I now replaced this crap with a cheap chinese phone charger and everything works fine; not a single hang since then.