Several problems after latest update

Few days ago my OSMC got updated and since then I am experiencing 2 main problems:

1 - it is no more reachable on the network with its hostname (I was used to connect it with " ssh osmc@my-media-center"). I can connect only with its IP

2 - I have an external USB disk connected with osmc, shared with samba. I can’t connect to it anymore.

Maybe these 2 issue are related. Any help, please?

Fabio

Please provide some useful info with a support request…

https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/how-to-submit-a-useful-support-request/

Concerning the samba issue, these are the latest logs:

log.nmbd : https://paste.osmc.tv/nageguyejo.vbs

log.smbd: https://paste.osmc.tv/ogobogohaw.coffee

For the (avahi?) hostname related problem, I didn’t change anything in the system. The hostname is salty-media-center as well as the configuration settings in kodi. Before the update I was always able to find it on the network.

Full logs are available here: https://paste.osmc.tv/xukuhopaji

I’ll state up-front that avahi isn’t something I’m very familiar with but I think I know the basics. That’s even assuming that this is an avahi issue.

So let’s start with item 1 in from your first post. You say that you used to connect using ssh osmc@my-media-center (or do you mean ssh osmc@salty-media-center?) but can now only use the IP address.

1 Can you connect using ssh osmc@my-media-center.local?
2 What type of machine are you connecting from? Has it been configured in any way to know which IP address is associated with the hostname salty-media-center?
3 If you use DHCP, is the IP address static for salty-media-center?
4 Have you configured/modified anything in your system, eg for avahi or the file /etc/nsswitch.conf?

I see that you also installed avahi-utils. What’s the output from running

avahi-browse -at

Here are replies:

  1. Yes, I can connect with ssh osmc@saltymedia-center.local, but this wasn’t the way I was used to connect to. For months I connected with ssh osmc@salty-media-center as the Raspi was listed on the LAN.

  2. From Mac and Linux. No configuration was needed before, so I didn’t edit /etc/hosts on any machine.

  3. Yes, the IP for the media center is static

  4. No. I swear!

  5. This is the output:

    osmc@salty-media-center:~$ avahi-browse -at

    • wlan0 IPv4 MacBook Air di Fabio Network File System local
    • wlan0 IPv4 MacBook Air di Fabio SFTP File Transfer local
    • wlan0 IPv4 MacBook Air di Fabio SSH Terminale remoto local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center SFTP File Transfer local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center SSH Terminale remoto local
    • wlan0 IPv4 B827EB5C7551@salty-media-center AirTunes Remote Audio local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center _airplay._tcp local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center _xbmc-jsonrpc._tcp local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center Sito Web local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center [b8:27:eb:5c:75:51] Macchine local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center Remote Disk Management local
    • wlan0 IPv4 Samba Shares on salty-media-center Rete Microsoft Windows local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center _xbmc-events._udp local
    • wlan0 IPv4 salty-media-center _xbmc-jsonrpc-h._tcp local
    • wlan0 IPv4 Netatmo Relay _hap._tcp local

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that the problem is probably not with avahi, which seems to be working correctly.

Before this issue occurred, you could run ssh osmc@salty-media-center and I assume also ping salty-media-center but that’s no longer working. Since you didn’t use the .local suffix and didn’t configure avahi, it suggests that the name resolution wasn’t via avahi.

Since you are using a static IP address for the Pi via DHCP, have you configured the DHCP server - which I assume is the router, 192.168.1.1 - to run local network name resolution? More broadly, how are the Mac and Linux boxes configured for DNS? If their DNS resolver is the router, has anything changed there?

My bad!
But your last thought was illuminating!!! Now I remember I changed the nameserver addresses in Raspi from the router address (192.168.1.1) to Google DNS (8.8.8.8) !!!

Ok, I prefer to stick with .local domain instead of changing back the nameservers. Thanks a lot!

(I still get a very ugly behaviour of my Samba share…)

It might help the Samba issue if you reverted the nameserver address on the Pi back to 192.168.1.1.

maybe I can leave 8.8.8.8 as secondary nameserver?

mmh. I changed back the primary nameserver to 192.168.1.1 (restarted the network), but still I have to add .local in order to reach it.

I assume that it was working ok before you made the change, so you need to try and get back to where you were. I’d also recommend that you restart everything after a change.

This boils down to two related issues:

  1. DNS resolution in the OSMC Pi. If you want the Pi to resolve local names, you will need to point it at the router. The router can then be configured to use Google DNS.

  2. DNS resolution in other machines. While avahi will work (using the .local suffix), you already have a router that can resolve (local and remote) names for you. Let DHCP assign a static IP address and name to each device and have them also use the router as the DNS resolver.

Thank you for the assistance!

You’re welcome.

It might be that OSMC sends its hostname during the initial DHCP negotiation, in which case you’ll be ok not being able to set the hostname on the outer. I’ll try to find out what happens on OSMC.

You’re right!

I’m now back with my previous behavior, thanks!