So tired of crashes

Well this is the first you’ve made anyone aware of this fact. We can only work with the info you provide. When stability is an issue, our first step is to remove any overclock and move forward with the next troubleshooting procedure.

Where are the logs from this point where a vanilla install crashes?? You are withholding the info we need to debug such issues!

You’re saying something is wrong with OSMC but I disagree. Something is wrong with what YOU are doing with OSMC or there would be a lot more people reporting the problem. Your issues are not widespread. The way you get to the bottom of an issue like this is to start from vanilla and make one change at a time until you’ve pinpointed what you have done that creates an issue. You obviously don’t wish to follow this path and have found something that works for you. Great! Enjoy! Have a good day!

Sandbird,

While I have not had the chance to read this is in depth, I can tell you that we addressed the splash screen issue properly in July. If it still persists I am sure that it will be resolved soon.

With regards to your overclock: what may work today may not work tomorrow. Alas, silicon ages and PSUs degrade over time. OSMC spends more time at higher clock speeds than any other Pi distribution (to the best of my knowledge) and as such it pushes all peripherals harder.

I see you are using XBian and you are having no issues with it. This is great to hear! OSMC has 480,000 Raspberry Pi users and it seems that there is a silent majority of users who are having no issue, so I am assuming that this is an isolated case.

If you can provide a log for this. We’ll fix it.

Same as above.

Both issues you have reported here as strong indicators of an inadequate power supply which starves peripherals and causes SD corruption. An overclock will make those inadequacies more prominent.

I wish you the very best of luck with your XBian setup. Should you ever wish to use OSMC again, start with a fresh install, the default overclock settings, and let us know if crashes persist. If they do, you can sell me (I have PMed you my phone number), and I will investigate this issue personally.

Regardless, I wish you the very best of luck

Sam

Ok, thanks guys. Thanks for the input. I think i’ll give it another try during the weekend. One last thing though. When the crash happens the pi wont connect again to the router until i reboot it, so there is no way to upload them to the pastebin atm…will the log files on the next reboot still have the information you need or does it reset them on every reboot ?
And which logs do you need to see wifi bugs ? dmesg, kodi and that network.xml ?

Please follow the method outlined in my necessary info sticky. Use the MyOSMC log uploader module and select all logs. Make sure debug logging is enabled. Yes, the log from the run prior to reboot will be included if you use this method.

I have the crazy boot screen problem too - in my July version of osmc. It doesn’t reboot that often so it’s never been a big deal to me. Thought I’d mention it though.

1 Like

@Sandbird FYI, I had a lot of crashes like you with a completely fresh vanilla installation. I changed the PSU for the original one from the Rasperry foundation, without success. I tried then another µSD card. Since then, my RPi2 is now rock stable. Don’t know if it can help, but this might be something to try, at least.

1 Like

What was the model of card that was giving you problems ?

it was a “SanDisk Extreme Pro 8 Go” (class 10). I switched for a (cheaper!) Transcend Ultimate 8 Go. And so far, so good.

I am using a Samsung Evo 8gb UHS-1/Class 10, bought at the same time as my pi2. Never used before.

ps: i see in the August release there are a lot of ‘sad face’ fixes…is that a coincidence ?

Given that a sad face will be displayed when Kodi crashes for any reason, probably. :wink:

Have you had any joy with the new update?

Sam

so far yes, not even a single crash :slight_smile: i started installing every addon from scratch though…just to be safe.
The broken logo did appear again though, all i did was change the display to 720 from system->video and on the next reboot it was broken again. I’ve connected the pi with my pc monitor before i move it to the tv…maybe thats the reason why ?
Totally forgot to enable debug when i fresh installed the system…Dont know if the log files will help at all now: http://paste.osmc.io/ofififufal

EDIT: today i moved the pi behind the tv with the wifi…When i set it to static ip (search for 192.168.1.4 on the logs) and hit apply i was stuck there for a few minutes. Hitting Esc crashed kodi, and got the distorted sad face image. On reboot though it kept the static ip.
http://paste.osmc.io/ulucakihow