[Solved] No HDMI display after clean install

Hello,

I am totally new to OSMC on my Pi2 and I tried a clean (1 empty FAT32 partition on the card) install on a 16GB SDHC card today using the installer recommended for Windows (I’m running W8). The installation on the SD card went very well.
However when I started the Pi2 (with the SD card inside of course) I had no display at all (I am using a video projector and I don’t have any other screen than I could use).
The Pi2 does not answer to ping but I can SSH myself on it with the OSMC account (but I don’t really know what I should be looking for).
I tried this with the 2 most recent releases (2015.10 and 2015.08).

I hope one of you will be able to help me while I also try to see what’s wrong on my side…

Thanks !

There is nothing in OSMC to block pings so that doesn’t make sense.

If you can log in with SSH, then please run the following commands and post their output, they will give information on what your projector is reporting in the way of available modes:

tvservice -s
tvservice -m CEA
tvservice -m DMT

Is it actually an HDMI projector or are you using an HDMI to DVI cable ?

Thank you for the quick answer !
Just tested again for the ping, I can now ping it, it pings computers on my local network but nothing outside (like 8.8.8.8 for example).

It is actually and HDMI projector that works well with the HDMI output of my laptop.

tvservice -s
state 0x40001 [NTSC 4:3], 720x480 @ 60.00Hz, interlaced

tvservice -m CEA
Group CEA has 0 modes:

tvservice -m DMT
Group DMThas 0 modes:

Your Pi does not think anything is connected to the HDMI port, so it is defaulting to putting out an NTSC analogue signal on the analogue port. (RCA connector on an old Pi, one pin on the 4 pin audio connector on newer Pi’s)

Did you power on the projector and let it start up before powering on the Pi ? If so, do you have another HDMI cable you can try as a test ?

Does your laptop automatically detect the projector and switch modes when you connect the HDMI cable or do you have to manually force your laptop to use external output ?

That would make sense…

I just tried to start the projector before the Pi, no luck. Then I tried to power the projector and forced its source to HDMI then powered the Pi and it worked !

Well sorry for the trouble since it was only a projector issue !

Thank you very much for the quick answer !

If you’re only ever using the Pi on that projector, you can capture the edid for the projector and force the Pi to always use the correct modes:

This way it would work regardless of whether the projector was on first or not. See:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#TV_is_not_detected_unless_powered_on_first

Hi BackIsBachus,

not really ;-), this is also a small issue if you’re use some kind of cheap HDMI 3-to-1 input switcher (brand name “CSL Hannover” here), as well as for some cheap 27" Desktop monitors, like Samsung 27A550H.

In both cases, it helped to edit the /boot/config.txt on a PC. Then I reinsert the SD card into the Pi:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

not sure, if both are required, I believe hdmi_force_hotplug alone would also do it.

BR,
Laser Man

BTW:
I did it before I ever inserted the card into the Pi, since I always have this issue with my office equipment, at the Samsung desk as well as at the HDMI switcher equipped desk.

I have turned on and off my Pi a few times since yesterday and thanks to the link provided by DBMandrake and my projector detected the source immediately.

However I modified a little bit my setup since I have a little HDMI splitter that extract the sound from the HDMI to RCA and Optic so that I can send it directly to my sound system (don’t want to leave that to my projector and have too much of a delay).
I may try and see if what is strictly required in my case later today (for now I’m just enjoying OSMC ^^).