[Solved] Wireless Network speed

Hello guys,

i recently bought a Vero 4k and am currently busy setting it up.
The first problem i ran into is the wireless network speed. It only offers half the speed vs. wired connections. The speed i am able to achieve is not enough to stream huge 4k files (roughly 625MB per Minute are needed / you’ll see later why i calculated in Mb / minute)

My Hardware:
Synology Diskstation 918+ - referred as NAS
Synology RT1900AC - referred as Router
Vero 4k - referred as Vero

The Router and the Vero are able to talk 802.11ac. With theoretical network speeds of 1.300 Mbit/s.
I know theoretical != real world, but read on, i’m not even close to half the speed.

What i’ve done:
To minimize interference and bad connections, i placed the vero on the same desk as the router.
To set a benchmark, i started the measuring using a wired connection directly to the router, on which my NAS is also connected. To exclude the “smart connect” bamboozling with 2,4 and 5 GHz, i disabled all those functions, running 2,4 GHz only.

I Installed a debian vm on my NAS to install iperf. I also installed iperf on the Vero 4k.
Because of port assigning problems, i can only test one way → the Vero as iperf server, the NAS as client.

The results (wired connection) while using iperf -t60 -c 192.168.178.128 as command are as follows:

Client connecting to 192.168.178.128, TCP port 5001                                                                                 
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)                                                                                               
------------------------------------------------------------                                                                        
[  3] local 172.17.0.2 port 58784 connected with 192.168.178.128 port 5001                                                          
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth                                                                                         
[  3]  0.0-60.1 sec   677 MBytes  94.5 Mbits/sec

running it several times does always result in this result.
If i am not mistaken - is my result close to the maximum possible over the wired connection (vero limitation).

When using the wireless connection i only get the following result:

Client connecting to 192.168.178.126, TCP port 5001                                                                                 
------------------------------------------------------------                                                                        
[  3] local 172.17.0.2 port 33462 connected with 192.168.178.126 port 5001                                                          
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth                                                                                         
[  3]  0.0-60.0 sec   317 MBytes  44.3 Mbits/sec                                                                                    

That beeing said - the NAS does support faster speeds as 44.3 MBits/sec, and the connection should not be as slow as it is.
I can get much faster read/write speeds on the NAS over wifi using different devices.

Does anyone have a clue how to move forward?

Best regards

Does your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network have separate SSIDs?

Try connecting to a dedicated 5Ghz network and things should improve.

Well, sorry…
My router only supports 802.11ac when using 5GHz.
I specifically disabled that to test with the most stable connection.

After enabling 5GHz my results are as followed:

Client connecting to 192.168.178.126, TCP port 5001

[ 3] local 172.17.0.2 port 34412 connected with 192.168.178.126 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0-60.1 sec 1.39 GBytes 198 Mbits/sec

Problem solved.
Let’s hope the 5GHz will get past that one wall which will be between router and vero, but that’s not a vero problem.

Thanks for the heads up and have a good weekend.

1 Like

Glad we’ve worked this out.

Let me know how you get on. Those numbers are definitely more in line with what I’d expect to see.

Best

Sam

Reaching 207 MBit/s through the wall, no more buffering, even while streaming 4K with TrueHD audio.
Really enjoying the experience now.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like