Some questions for Vero4k

Hi. I want to buy an Vero4k but I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to start/wake up/power on the Vero4k with an IR Remote (in this case Logitech harmony)?
  2. When turning off the Vero4k, are the usb ports powered off too, so that my external hard drive shuts down?

Thank you very much for your support!

No. Vero4k does not have a ‘stand-by’ mode. It’s designed to be on all the time.

Yes, they are off. But your HDD should spin down anyway after a while of no access, even if powered from USB.

It does have a suspend mode, but currently wakeup is only supported with a specific subset of IR codes. In a future UBoot update we will add wakeup via USB, CEC and IR.

The disk spins down after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Ok. I am a little bit concerned of the hdd thing, because it is a normal external hard drive and no 24/7 hdd. At the moment I use an rp1 and I use to shut down the pi when I don’t need it and wake it up with a soldered hardware button. So the hdd is only really active when I use the pi for osmc.

Can you clarify this a bit?
The disk will spin down after 15 mins if the caddy accepts the spindown command (almost all do).

If it spins down after inactivity on Pi running OSMC it will also do so on Vero 4K running OSMC.
The disk can also be manually spun down or you could use cron to schedule this.

Sam

Is this behavior (spin down) ok for an hdd in long term or is it better to unplug it when I don’t need it?

This good enough as you are just concerned about the rotating parts