Some videos only have sound, not picture

Some videos I’ve downloaded recently only have sound, not picture. Here’s what shows on the TV screen:

PS: The videos run on my computer, though.
Thanks,
Cleo :open_mouth:

Plenty of information missing to give you support:

1. What Device are you using?
  2. What are the codecs of the Video?

Please upload log via MyOSMC - Log Uploader and share the URL.
For the Video Codec please go to https://videosam.pl/ provide your video and copy the Mediainfo here.

I think my Vero is the standard model - I bought it from OSMC about 3 years ago.

Here’s the report from the link you gave. This isn’t from the video shown in my photos - it’s a recent Bill Maher clip that also won’t run through the Vero\TV, but plays on the computer.
Thank you :slight_smile:

General
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
File size : 26.1 MiB
Duration : 7 min 2 s
Overall bit rate : 518 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.29.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AV1
Format/Info : AOMedia Video 1
Format profile : Main@L3.1
Codec ID : av01
Duration : 7 min 1 s
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.014
Stream size : 19.3 MiB (74%)
Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : av1C

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 7 min 2 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 6.44 MiB (25%)
Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

AV01 codec is not supported by the Hardware decoder of the Vero.
If you view youtube videos just choose a different codec.
E.g. the Video above is also available encoded with VP9 or AVC1 codec which both work on the Vero.

fzinken, thanks very much for the tip. The only way I can download YouTube videos is with a full (free, but full of plugs to buy it) version of WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe. Its options for YouTube downloads seem to only include .webm and .mp4, and I’m not sure how to tell which files have the AV01 codec unless I download them. Fortunately the webm files seem to play OK through the Vero. I’m wondering if all of the YouTube mp4s are AV01. I’ll have to go through all the files I’ve downloaded with WinX to see if any will play through the Vero.

Check out youtube-dl with which you could download on Windows or even directly on the Vero.

Also you actually just could use the YouTube Addon on the Vero to directly watch on the Vero without downloading.

Not that way around but webm normally would be VP9. Below are the 720p formats of the video you posted the other day extracted with youtube-dl. As you can see mp4 could be av01 or avc1 but you would be fine with the webm version.

136          mp4        1280x720   720p  222k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d401f@ 222k, 30fps, video only, 11.20MiB
247          webm       1280x720   720p  256k , webm_dash container, vp9@ 256k, 30fps, video only, 12.92MiB
398          mp4        1280x720   720p  386k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.05M.08@ 386k, 30fps, video only, 19.44MiB
22           mp4        1280x720   720p  351k , avc1.64001F, 30fps, mp4a.40.2 (44100Hz) (best)

I’m going to take a look at adding software decoding for AV1 in the forseeable future – it’s possible with Kodi v19 – but the meson build system requirements complex things and this will probably need to wait until Debian Bullseye.

Even then – software decode performance will be quite limiting I suspect, but at least it will be there.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Thanks very much, fzinken and sam. I’ll be more selective with my downloads in future.
I also wondered about converting the AV01 videos to another format. Is that possible?

Sure you can use ffmpeg to do that but it would be a a very long process. So for content that you can download in another format that would be faster.

Many, many thanks. You guys are the best :heart_eyes:

1 Like