Stuck in sad face loop starting kodi

root@wabewewwypi:/home/osmc# export | grep PATH
declare -x PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/osmc/bin:/opt/vc/bin"

You have filesystem corruption. Check power supply, SD card, and reinstall.

1 Like

Power supply has been fine powering this pi2 on another install for over a year, nothing wrong there. SD card has also been used before and no problems.

Will try yet-another-re-image and see what happens.

Can’t SSH in. It doesn’t even start to boot. I am rolling back to June update and sticking to it until September.

Just removed SD card and connected it directly to my pc. FSCK advises:

/dev/sdc2: clean, 25396/473280 files, 232869/1892864 blocks

So mmcblk0p2 is not corrupted, this is an issue with how the July update has run.

Nonetheless I will try another re-install.

Might not mean much. I had the same issue just now, the update might be just a coincidence though.

In my experience, updates will mostly trash a sd card that was already faulty or that has low quality due to high reads and writes (basically “stress testing”) - not sure what happens internally though…

This happened also with new SD cards, and I put them through various disk tests (including those “especially made for sd cards”) - none of them reported any errors, yet they were causing stability issues with the rpi’s.

I just did a fresh install on a different sd card and it looks fine now (e.g. not a hw or psu problem)

Well third time lucky, wrote the same image to the SD card and ran the upgrade from the GUI and all seems well. Hopefully can configure it all now and will still work.

Next month, you will probably experience problems, and attribute this to a bad update. Better to fix the underlying problem.

Power supplies degrade

SDHost, the new SD card driver, has more quirks with cards that don’t comply with the standard very well. Probably dtoverlay=mmc will fix your issue, but that driver will go eventually.

All working this time, but out of interest, where would I put dtoverlay=mmc?

/boot/config.txt

fwiw, similar problem here after running the update via gui. was a fresh install a few days ago.

logs http://paste.osmc.io/hexivihile

going to format/reimage

Did any of you guys have overclocking on?

Sam

I don’t

I can not see any similarity in your log files to the other people’s problem

No, mine was a pure vanilla install from OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160621.img downloaded freshly that day from osmc.tv

It’s working perfectly though since I re-imaged it again, upgraded this last time with no problems at all.

I have to say I’m curious as to how a file system can become so corrupt and yet report as clean in fsck - something just doesn’t seem to add up here.

The fsck done by initramfs is a quick check. A full fsck would delay boot by a lot.

Sam

I ran fsck on the SD card in my MINT desktop, not at boot.

Which commands did you invoke?

Remember that the corruption can be subtle, apt-get and dpkg heavily depend on Perl. The corruption of one Perl package can in effect break most of the functionality of the system.

It seems he has exactly the same problem I had but with a different library file not being loaded.

fsck /dev/sdc2 (After first unmounting it)