Stuck with shared libraries RPi2 - MySQL

I guess most be a problem with the drive
Which format is the drive?
Which Partition Type?
Does it get enough power?

Also does smbclient '\\localhost\osmc' works?

smbclient ‘\localhost\osmc’ works perfectly well and gives me the smb prompt.

The following is the samba log file:
http://paste.osmc.io/oxebayosib

is this bit of at relevance:

[2016/12/20 14:41:12.807814, 0] …/lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
STATUS=daemon ‘smbd’ finished starting up and ready to serve connections
[2016/12/20 14:44:20.651796, 0] …/source3/param/loadparm.c:3171(process_usershare_file)
process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/blackdrive failed. Permission denied
[2016/12/20 14:44:32.041743, 0] …/lib/util/fault.c:78(fault_report)

The filesystem looks to be FAT32. It is a 500GB external drive.
Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 63 976768064 976768002 465.8G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Ok so that more and more indicates a specific problem with your drive.
The “Permission Denied” is not an issue, I also have that.

maybe try to give the drive a new label (with lowercase characters instead of upper case). Or if there is not too much data maybe try to create new filesystem extfs

It’s about 50% full. I’ve tried different drive labels so can only put it down to it being FAT32.

I could do with it still being able to be plugged into a windows PC sometimes, is there a file system that would be better to be used on both?

Did you reboot after changing the label?

extfs does support both

Yes tried all sorts with the label before as originally it had a space in as well.

Will try to move everything off and convert to extfs. Is there any particular command to convert it to extfs?

sudo mkfs.exfat -n blackdrive /dev/sda1

Thanks - it is just taking an age to copy all the files off!

Thanks, it worked perfectly. I copied everything off, ran that command and then rebooted. I can now use smbclient to access it so I presume it will work from within OSMC. I’ll try that next. It is back on the original server pi now so MySQL etc. is still setup. Will have a go at adding via the SMB share which should then index correctly on the other pi.

Thanks very much for your help, so if anyone else has the same problem it looks like it doesn’t like FAT32 devices.

One step closer anyway!

I can add the SMB share now, and it adds fine in OSMC. I can view all the files on the drive and I can play the videos / music.

However I don’t seem to be able to set the content type in order to put it into the library. I don’t get any error messages. I set the content to movies and choose the scraper. It then asks if I want to scan the folder now and I click on ‘yes’, then it doesn’t do anything. If I go back to set content, it hasn’t saved the settings.

I’m guessing this might be a permissions issue? Does it try to save a file to the drive when you set the content? I’m guessing it is perhaps read only?

From further testing, I don’t seem to be able to set the content when I go the external drive locally (not through SMB). When it was FAT32 it was able to, the only thing that has changed is the filesystem.

Logged into to SSH I can see that the files are owned by osmc in the group osmc, so that should be fine. Permissions are drwxrwxrwx for folders and -rw-rw-rw- for files.

The files and folders were copied on using a windows laptop.

If I use the windows computer to connect to \osmc\blackdrive I can view all the files and I can copy files to the drive perfectly.

Is there anything I’ve missed which would stop me being able to set the content type?!

Sorted it, my silly mistake.

Had messed up the advancedsettings.xml file so it couldn’t connect to the MySQL database to store the settings.

Now scanned the media and it has all added to the library, which can be seen and played on both raspberry pi’s. So all working pretty perfectly.

Thanks for all the help!