Stuttering playback, buffering

ok. I’ll connect via wire as a test. Change of config needed?

No – just reboot after plugging in Ethernet so that ConnMan drops the wireless connection.

I managed to plug in the 10cm to short cable … :slight_smile:
The movie started without issues.
But for whatever reason putty is not connecting to the vero anymore, so I cannot test the speed via iperf.
BUT - as a cable diagonal through my living room is not an option - what can I do?

The maximum length for a piece of Cat5 ethernet is 100m. That should give you a few possibilities.

It’ll probably be on a new IP address.

I know. But I would have to bridge a door when running along the wall - which is not easily done invisible in my experience. But that aside (it still would be a fallback option), WHY is WIFI not working as expected? What settings could be optimized on the Vero or Router side?

I gave it the same IP manually. Putty timed out while trying to connect.

Maybe some other device took the IP.

2.4Ghz WiFi is quite flakey.
There’s not really much more to it than that. 802.11ac would provide improvements if you’re able to upgrade to that.

Changing the channel on the router to a less crowded one may also help a bit.

You can still try to ping the IP address from Windows, even if Putty hangs. Perhaps the system journal. (grab-logs -J) will show something.

You’re currently using channel 11 on 2.4 GHz. It might be a bit congested. If the router supports it, a survey of the available channels would be useful. You can also try channel 1.

Can Vero do 5GHz? I thought not? Or what do you mean by upgrading to ac?

I live outside of town, the channels here are quite empty.
I can change it anyway just for a test.

Vero4k has built-in AC adapter!
Built in 802.11 ac/n/g/b WiFi with Bluetooth 4.0

Well, my Fritzbox 7490 is also ac capable.
So I could switch over to 5GHz for the Vero Connection?

Would help I guess (unless you have steel walls in the way)

I could unpack the Vero from that fire-resistent safe … :smile:

But hey, that sounds like a plan. I would be grateful for a little how to (on the Vero side), because until now I didnt see any 5GHz option

Well the main trick is to have a separate SSID for 5G that will make it much easier to connect to the “right” network.

Ah, ok, makes sense. I actually gave both networks the same SSID.
I changed that, and could switch over to the 5 GHz network.
I quick test looked good, the first minute of the movie ran smoothly.
I’ll test a bit more later, and make another test with iperf3.

EDIT: could not wait - iperf3 gives 228Mbit/sec via 5GHz :smile:

Perfect

Glad to hear things are much improved now.

Sam

Yes, thanks for the help here. I could watch the movie without issues (there was one buffering in the credits for whatever reason).
But it should be good new I assume.