[Deprecated] [TESTING] Bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP)

OMG! I finally figured it out!! Can’t believe why nobody wrote about a new part in My OSMC after installing bluetooth :rage:

3 Guides: enable Bluetooth, pair a device, stream.

Install Bluetooth streaming

1. Update OSMC, do it via MyOSMC> Update>Manual and reboot.
  2. Run the command provided by Sam:
    wget http://paste.osmc.io/raw/qiyekuvafe -O- | sudo sh
  3. (since the November 2015 update) edit /boot/config/txt and add this line to the bottom:
    dtparam=audio=on to /boot/config.txt

Pairing a device

You need to pair your phone or other device. The great OSMC developers did not mention it but they created a nice UI in MyOSMC that works reasonably.

1. Go to MyOSMC. If you use a different skin, go to Settings>Addons>My Addons> Program Addons > OSMC and launch it. I would recommend you use your skin’s settings to add MyOSMC to your Kodi Homescreen.
  2. MyOSMC > Network (it is the ‘share’ icon) and you will find “Bluetooth” there!
  3. First enable it
  4. now enable Bluetooth on your phone, wait up to a minute and your phone’s name will appear in the list. Use it to pair WITH PIN. You don’t have to enter a pin, just acknowledge on both your phone and in MyOSMC the shown pin is correct. You can now stream music to OSMC/Kodi!

NOTE
If your goal is to stream from OSMC to a Bluetooth speaker:
In Kodi, Settings>System>Audio Output you can select to output audio to ALSA: Bluetooth.

BUGS

OSMC streaming to speakers:

1. user @JohnDoe has reported errors and wrote about it extensively with Kodi log showing errors.

Streaming to OSMC:

1. November update broke Bluetooth streaming! Pairing and connecting works perfectly, but there is no audio played back in OSMC. It worked fine before the update. I updated last night and since that moment, there is no audio when I stream to OSMC. FIXED, step 3 has been added above.
  2. HiFiBerry users: the option to output audio via HiFiBerry is missing in Settings>Audio Output.
5 Likes