[Deprecated] [TESTING] Bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP)

Hi,
I installed this module on my brand new RPi3 and was able to stream audio from my phone (using the on board bluetooth) with little effort. That’s great!

Now I wanted to go one step further and set the audio out to HDMI and Analog. Tried once again, OK with TV but nothing on analog. Then I looked into this thread and found that it was “normal by default” but did not find any advice on how to change this. Can somebody tell me ? (I tried using the different pulseaudio commands but couldn’t get any working solution yet)

After another reboot, the Audio to BT worked again.
(didn’t need to power-down RPI this time).

Thanks.
Best regards,
Niall.

What did you ‘reboot’ if you didn’t power cycle the Pi?

Next time can you upload all logs, w/ debugging enabled, via My OSMC and paste the URL? Please post logs in a more readable form next time.

Sam,

I was heading out to work this morning at the time, so this was done in a hurry.
If it had happened at a more convenient time, I would have prepared something more readable :slight_smile:
(tho I did notice an fsck error in the dmesg output)

This morning I rebooted RPI, and when I did ‘Re-Connect’ BT, the Audio worked straightaway -
I could hear the click-clicking on my BT speaker as I moved through the OSMC menu items.

Just to clarify: Sometimes just a reboot RPI is not sufficient, and I need to power-cycle the RPI
(I mean physically switch off the power to the RPI … and then switch it on again, i.e. not just a reboot)

Sometimes I need to power-cycle RPI and then it still doesn’t work.
But after another reboot RPI, it comes back.

So when the BT audio drops here’s how I get it back:

• reboot RPI, if that doesn’t work …
  • power-cycle RPI,
  • or power-cycle RPI and then a reboot RPI.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Niall.

Hi

Needing to reboot doesn’t make any sense to me at this time. I would need to see a full set of logs to see the issue.

fsck won’t be the issue and will most likely be a warning that the vfat partition is dirty.

Hi Sam.

I was wondering if you could add support for the RPI to receive Bluetooth audio and send it to the hdmi or jack output since you are working on A2DP could “reverse” A2DP also work?

Like I connect to the RPI as an audio device from my laptop/phone over bluetooth so that I can hook my RPI to my speaker system via 3.5mm jack and then play audio from any other device I have over bluetooth.

This is already possible, and is used more than streaming to a BT device.

The setup process is the same. Pair the two devices, and stream from your BT device. Audio will be received by the Pi.

Thats excellent. I have been messing around with my RPI3 bluetooth a lot so I am going to clean install before submitting any bugs because right now I can not connect to anything but I am attributing that to all the file edits I have made trying to get this working myself.

I am using the built in Bluetooth on the RPI3 is this dongle fine for A2DP streaming?

yes

It should be OK but some users have reported some stuttering with some devices. I suspect there may be some improvements over time.

Yeah I am experiencing this now running from my LG Spirit to the RPI3 using the built in bluetooth. I assume there is no fix for this right now.

I’d recommend using a bluetooth dongle. I seemed to get much better results using dongle than the onboard bluetooth.

Were you able to get sound out of the jack output of you’re RPI ? When I try with the same setup, only the HDMI works.

Yes I was. I did the config.txt edit and connected my phone via bluetooth and it worked. Is yours also using the internal transmitter?

If you turn off the wifi on the pi the bluetooth stuttering goes away completely and works really great. Now to just improve the sound quality of the jack output…

Thanks! This is a good workaround to have working internal BT in RPi3.

I discovered that to get better quality, without the background noise I have to increase the volume on the raspberry(compared to HDMI output) and lower it on the amplituner.

What did you use to do that?[quote=“maciex, post:370, topic:9116, full:true”]

Thanks! This is a good workaround to have working internal BT in RPi3.

I discovered that to get better quality, without the background noise I have to increase the volume on the raspberry(compared to HDMI output) and lower it on the amplituner.
[/quote]

I tried once more with the dtparam addition to config.txt but it’s still no good. Maybe I’m having some problem with the bt “auto-switch” feature turning on the TV switch the output to HDMI but then, when going to headless the output is probably not re-routed to the jack.

For anyone having problems with hiss and distortion on RPI 3.5mm jack may want to try sam’s method here

1 Like

Hi @sam_nazarko

Pulseaudio seems to interfere with retrosmc when playing games. Sound lags and stutters. Removing pulseaudio fixes problem but ad2p bluetooth streaming gets removed too.

Is there way to use ad2p with alsa or does it only work with pulseaudio.

Thanks