[Deprecated] [TESTING] Bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP)

And another question. What exactly are the symptoms of the Pi3 BT “not working correctly”?

I’m sorry to hear this.

You may want to send it back (RMA) so we can address this for you. Contact sales@osmc.tv for further information

Sam

1 Like

Basically what you have described above.

As it stands, we don’t recommend the internal adapter.
But the fact is this is all experimental.

In the long term, we want OSMC’s Bluetooth streaming to work well with it. And if there are any issues we are confident we can get it to work and contact Raspberry Pi developers and give them a stack to work with to improve things.

But for now things are experimental. This test thread is alpha testing and with Kodi Krypton it will become beta testing. We are committed to improving this however. Especially as AirPlay, which was previously used for audio streaming is likely disappear in a future version of Kodi.

Sam

I will send out a replacement Bluetooth dongle for you on Monday.

Hey, thanks @sam_nazarko. I’ll test again as soon as it arrives and provide an update.

So I bought the OSMC Bluetooth adaptor, and received it today. I have plugged it in, connected it to my Amazon Echo Dot, configured kodi to output to ALSA instead of HDMI, changed my config.txt to include dtparam=audio=on. But still no audio being played on the Echo Dot. Any suggestions for how I can get this working?

P.S. this is all running on an RPi 1B

Hi

Haven’t used Echo Dot before.

Does it pair OK in My OSMC?
Are you able to pair something else and play back to it, like iPhone?

Audio output should be PulseAudio or Bluetooth.

It paired after a few attempts, but would immediately disconnect. Installing the a2dp package as per the first post in this thread resolved that issue though.

I can connect my tablet to the Echo Dot and stream audio to it without issue.

When you say Audio output should be PulseAudio or Bluetooth, I have gone into System Settings > Audio output > Audio output device and selected ALSA: OSMC streaming to Bluetooth speaker / headphones. Is this correct? Or should I configure it somewhere else?

That’s correct.
The A2DP package is needed or the device will pair but then realise there are no supported capabilities and quickly disconnect.

Yes – that should work.

Can you post a debug log when it doesn’t?
Do you have any other Bluetooth device you can stream to or from to rule out issues?

Also – which device are you using?

Cheers

Sam

Debug log is at: http://paste.osmc.io/navobeqipa

I don’t have another bluetooth speaker I can try on tonight

Also, using Raspberry Pi 1 Model B

Looks like an issue with the receiving device:

23:12:34 168.843658 T:3010278384   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei(2)) - snd_pcm_writei returned -5 (Input/output error)
23:12:34 168.880478 T:3010278384   ERROR: CActiveAESink::OutputSamples - failed
23:12:34 168.880844 T:3010278384   ERROR: CEngineStats::UpdateSinkDelay - inconsistency in buffer time

Unfortunately I don’t have this device but I’ll see if anyone on the team does and can do some testing.

Sam

Cheers! I’ll try get my hands on another bluetooth speaker tomorrow to see can I get that to work…

I just paired another Bluetooth speaker, and after rebooting the pi, it worked perfectly. So looks like it’s a compatibility issue between the Echo Dot and OSMC.

Do you know if it is possible to do anything about this Sam?

Hi

I don’t have an Echo Dot

I will see if anyone on the team has one and we can work to improve things

1 Like

Unfortunately no one seems to have a Dot.
I’ll do some digging.

Hey all.
I have a “PI1 B” and i want to broadcast audio from my phone to osmc in TV speakers. Advise what me buy?

1. Bluetooth dongle and connect it to my Pi1?
  2. Buy Pi3 with built-in Bluetooth adapter?

Hi! I try to install bluetooth audio widget but I got a 404:Not found error. Could it be that the link is down?

Try the updated instructions

For the time being the recommendation is “1” as the internal adapter of Pi3 still has some problems.
Get the BT adapter from OSMC store

1 Like

I tried updated instructions but now I get::
N: Ignoring file ‘a2dp’ in directory ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/’ as it has no filename extension
E: Unable to locate package a2dp-app-osmc