[Testing] X11(simple desktop) + Chromium(web browser) in a simple installer for Stretch

@joakim_s : No,Before reboot, launcher extension was visible in Kodi/programs, but launching it led me to a black screen
It was because there was some missing display driver to my TV screen ( at least that’s what I understood from the logs). BTW, I had a look into the scripts (actually, modified them a little in order to only run chromium using xinit) and I was wondering what are the “sleep 30” and “sleep 10” for ?
I’m guessing this is related to the commands that are around

Thanks @joakim_s for this. Ill give it a test. :slight_smile:

@Beignet10 Whats the browsing speed like on chrominum on the rpi3?

Can this be safely unistalled or should i try it on a testing system first.

Cheers

@the_bo browsing speed was fine as far as I could see (but I advise you not to open many tabs ^^).
I browsed some facebook and was pretty satisfied but I’m mainly focused on flash right now, because I wanted to watch some streaming videos without turning my PC on. Flash playback (not in HD) is almost usable even though it is not using hardware acceleration (I am using flash pepper : Howto: Flash support for most browsers (RPi 2/3) - Raspberry Pi Forums )

About uninstallation, no idea. I will let Joakim answer, just did the installation tonight but I did a backup of a lot of things beforehand.

@Beignet10 The sleep command is timing things to not start or stop to quickly, it’s a delicate walk to get it working properly. As I said before in this thread, there is seconds to shave of, but when i’ve been playing with the scripts i’ve taken a few seconds to spare.

@the_bo Uninstall i haven’t really tried, but it’s all deb packagesand a couple of text files files so i think it should be doable. Just never thought much about it. Do it in a test evrioment, it’s a reason why we call it “testing” in thread name.

Please has anyone tried it on the vero2 ?

Just had a quick look at @joakim_s’s script. He uses ARMv7 binaries and everything is grabbed from the repository, so it should work.

You can’t really brick the Vero 2, so I’d say try it if you’re willing to accept the fact that you may need to reinstall OSMC (which can be done from osmc.tv/download).

Thank you @joakim_s. Your script solved a problem I was facing in another thread

Hi,

Small update here:

• I still had some black screens when starting chromium under x11 from the kodi addon. Those black screens never happened right after a pi reboot and their frequency did not seem to be related to the sleep times in the scripts (increasing, decreasing or leaving them at the values you set didn’t seem to change anything)
    After some investigation, I noticed that in these cases the XOrg log shows :
    [ 223.067] (II) FBDEV(0): hardware: BCM2708 FB (video memory: 0kB)
    [ 223.067] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against framebuffer device…
    [ 223.067] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against monitor…
    [ 223.067] (–) FBDEV(0): Virtual size is 1x1 (pitch 1)
  • From this thread ( https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-234.html ), I understood that kodi when restarted seems to set framebuffer size to 1x1 for some reason (save memory because it’s not really using it ? … ). Therefore I used fbset to ensure the framebuffer parameters are at the wanted values in my chromium starting script. It seems to have made things better. Although this is not the only cause of black screen (as you said, shaving too much on the sleep times is another one), I think this helps with stability. I will let you know if it is better in the long run.

Hi Beignet

Do you get the black screen when launching the x11 addon or only when you open chromium from inside x11.

Currently im getting black screen when launching from the kodi addon. Cant get x11 desktop to display at all.

@joakim_s Can you have a look at my debug log see what causing the issue.

X11 Debug Log

Much appreciated thanks

@the_bo I’m no kodi expert, but from what i saw in your logs compared to mine is it takes a bit longer to actually close down kodi for you then me.

It might help to increase the sleep command in x_init.sh from 30 to 45.

@Beignet10 Please do let me know, and if fbset works you might wanna try:

sudo nano /etc/fb.modes
and ad this in the end of file

mode “1920x1080”
# D: 74.481 MHz, H: 67.080 kHz, V: 60.00 Hz
geometry 1920 1080 1920 1080 16
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
endmode

Hi Joakim

Thanks sleep 45 solved the black screen issue.

But now chromium isnt available. Theres a chromium blank icon on desktop but when double click it says

"Invalid desktop entry file: ‘/home/osmc/desktop/chromium.desktop’

On start menu cant see any chromium options.

I tried running the installer again each time its says downloading and installing chromium, but same error as above.

It looks like chromium isnt being installed for some reason. Is there way to check if chromium is installed.

Thanks for any info.

@the_bo Glad it was a simple timing issue to get it started, the missing chromium is not that fun. I know there is no Chromium shortcuts in the menu, didn’t make any since i thought the one on the desktop should be enough.

Could your try: startmenu, Run and type in chromium-webbrowser (it should show you suggestions while you type)

If it works we got to redo the Desktop shortcut.

nano /home/osmc/Desktop/chromium-browser.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
Name=Chromium Web Browser
Icon=chromium-browser
URL=/usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop

CTRL+o ENTER (to save changes)
CTRL+x (to quit editor)

If that doesn’t work there must have been something that happened during installation of chromium. Try re running the install script again.

While we are at it, lets fix the bug in Filemanager shortcut too:

nano /home/osmc/Desktop/files.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Icon=system-file-manager
Name=My Folder Shortcut
Exec=pcmanfm /home/osmc

Comment[en_US]=

CTRL+o ENTER
CTRL+x

Updated the installer with these changes, except to increase the sleep command in x_init.sh from 30 to 45.

Tried reinstalling. I think an error shows quickly on command screen while installing chromium but flashes by quickly can’t read it in time.

Is there way see log of the installation process.

Filemanger works ok.

Or is there a way of manually downloading chromium and extract it to its correct folder.

Thanks again for looking into it.

Sure we can do it step by step manually, just as in the scripts automation.

First step downloading the Chromium packages needed, so ssh in to your device, and run these three commands:

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libg/libgcrypt11/libgcrypt11_1.5.0-5+deb7u4_armhf.deb
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/218525711/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/218525709/chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb

Then we install them, with an expected error on the last one:

sudo dpkg -i libgcrypt11_1.5.0-5+deb7u4_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb

After that last one giving errors, we force the needed dependecies and reinstall the last package:

sudo apt-get -f --force-yes --yes install

These are the steps done in the script per automation, this way we can see if there is more then the one expected error.

Hope this solves the problem.

Your right joakim the last step produces the following error:

Preparing to unpack chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb …
Unpacking chromium-browser (45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097) …
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from ‘chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb’ to decompressor pipe: unexpected end of file or stream
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: unexpected end of input
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb (–install):
cannot copy extracted data for ‘./usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libwebcore_shared.so’ to ‘/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libwebcore_shared.so.dpkg-new’: unexpected end of file or stream
Errors were encountered while processing:
chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb

using the following commands below after

produces similar error

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get -f --force-yes --yes install
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libgssapi3-heimdal libheimntlm0-heimdal libkdc2-heimdal rbp2-image-4.4.8-3-osmc
Use ‘apt-get autoremove’ to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb
(Reading database … 37185 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb …
Unpacking chromium-browser (45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097) …
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from ‘chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb’ to decompressor pipe: unexpected end of file or stream
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: unexpected end of input
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb (–install):
cannot copy extracted data for ‘./usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libwebcore_shared.so’ to ‘/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libwebcore_shared.so.dpkg-new’: unexpected end of file or stream
Errors were encountered while processing:
chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb

Thanks for any info

Those were not the errors i expected, seems like the .deb file is corrupt. Please check if you got any *.deb.1 files? If thats the case we made a second attempt to install chromium from the same corrupted .deb file.

Delete the “chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb”

rm chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb

and rename the deb.1 to .deb

mv chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb.1 chromium-browser_45.0.2454.85-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1097_armhf.deb

Then run these commands once more.

Might even try to download it to your desktop/laptop and transfer the file via usb stick and do dpkg from there

If that is not the issue, i’m sorry to say it’s over my head.

Thanks a mil @Joakim_Sandstorm your instructions on last post got it installed :slight_smile:

Must been corrupt download first time round. The chromium icon is still blank (but least it works) ill following the instructions on your post above about getting icon to show.

Thanks for your time helping me through it :+1:

Edit: Thanks got chromium icon shown using your instructions above only the my folder shortcut icon doesnt show using

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Icon=system-file-manager
Name=My Folder Shortcut
Exec=pcmanfm /home/osmc
Comment[en_US]=

Since this is a desktop can you install other applications besides chromium also?

In the start menu under sound & video its says Kodi media center. Clicking it brings you back to kodi, is this the same as using log out option?

Loving it so far man you just made OSMC must more awesome, keep up great work cheers :smiley:

Yeah it’s a minimal LXDE windows manager in Xwindows, you should be able to install anything you want on it. Running Kodi from within Desktop starts a new instance of kodi, which when you exit should bring you back to Desktop. I wouldn’t recommend it, since i think it leaves x running in the background eating up more memory.

Strange about the file manager, will check it out on a clean install during the coming week.

Glad we solved the problems, enjoy your desktop to the fullest.

Cheers for info

One other thing, seems hear no sound when playing video on chromium.

Where do i adjust the sound options

thanks

Now we are outside my comfort zone, since I got sound in my setup. Both in my working card, and my fresh installed card. Dont know whats the problem