Time zone is set, but local time is shown in UTC

Hello. I recently installed OSMC on my Pi2 and I’ve mostly got it working the way I like, but I can’t figure out what’s wrong with the clock. It appears to be fetching UTC correctly from somewhere, and I set the time zone using the OSMC menus, but it always displays UTC time even though I’ve specified America/Los-Angeles or US/Pacific.

If I ssh in and “dpkg-reconfigure tzdata” and then cancel I get this:
Current default time zone: 'America/Los_Angeles'
Local time is now: Fri May 20 03:58:47 UTC 2016.
Universal Time is now: Fri May 20 03:58:47 UTC 2016.

I installed this via the OSMC installer tool, and am up-to-date on updates as of five minutes ago.

Any guidance? It’s kind of annoying.

When I ssh in, and do the same dpkg-reconfigure I get this:

Current default time zone: ‘America/New_York’
Local time is now: Fri May 20 00:26:49 EDT 2016.
Universal Time is now: Fri May 20 04:26:49 UTC 2016.

Notice the local time is EDT. Try actually completing the tzdata setup.

I just discovered and corrected the issue.

For some reason several files within /usr/share/zoneinfo/ were just zero-filled. I grabbed a copy of the LA zone file and replaced the zeroed one and it’s now resolved.

Forums are powerful! I’ve been screwing with this on and off for a week and as soon as I post about it I find the answer! :smiley:

Good to hear that your problem is fixed. But since you seemed to have some file corruption, I’d suggest that you check out your setup. Make sure your power supply is up to the task, and that you have a good SD card.

It’s possible that there were some related issues during the initial setup because the first time it ran I opened a menu and then it suddenly popped up the initial config dialogue while I was poking around, but the control focus was still on the underlying menu with no way to escape from it. I ended up hard-booting the Pi to get it to work right.

Apart from that it’s been running fine for about two weeks. Once I got my daemons sorted out and got the GUI set up the way I liked the clock was the only thing really bothering me, but I’ve been putting it through its paces the whole time and it seems to be okay.