TV show presentation problem

Hi all,

I have a (strange?) issue with TV show presentation in Kodi.
For some TV shows, the seasons presentation highly differs. For instance:

• Season 1:

• Season 2:

I have no idea why I do not get the full episode descriptions nor the background for the season 2…

Presentation options seem similar, and show information are obtained via local nfo files which are similar btw the two seasons.

Thanks you for help!

You don’t seem to have a non-letter non-number character after the episode number in your second season - try renaming the files to have a space after the episode number.

I just tried this:

But no success.
You’re right mentioning that this season is the only one where each episode is splitted in two files. I didn’t notice that before, sorry.

NFO files, for episode 2x01_a and 2x01_b contains both <episodedetails> ... <season>2</season> <episode>1</episode> ... </episodedetails> since the files are both related to the same episode. I’ve read this was the way to handle this, but may be this is part of the problem?
Thanks.

try (for example) 2x01a - La clinique mobile du docteur la Peluche.mp4
…instead of 2x01_a.La clinique mobile du docteur la Peluche.mp4

also perhaps try deleting the .nfo and rescraping for this season?

Just tried. No changes.

I’ll try. FYI, here is exactly one of the NFO files of the season:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <episodedetails>
        <title>La clinique mobile du docteur la Peluche</title>
        <showtitle>Docteur La Peluche</showtitle>
        <rating>7</rating>
        <season>2</season>
        <episode>1</episode>
        <plot>Doc et son père construisent une clinique ambulante pour que Doc puisse réparer les jouets lorsqu’elle est en-dehors de chez elle.</plot>
        <outline>Doc et son père construisent une clinique ambulante pour que Doc puisse réparer les jouets lorsqu’elle est en-dehors de chez elle.</outline>
        <mpaa>TV-Y</mpaa>
        <playcount>0</playcount>
        <lastplayed></lastplayed>
        <aired>2013-09-06</aired>
        <studio>Disney Channel</studio>
        <thumb>http://thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/258111/4622745.jpg</thumb>
</episodedetails>

Still trying to investigate the bug, and I just realized that some episodes in season 1 have the same problem, i.e. no images/background, possibly no thumbnail, and no abstract/data printed on screen, while having exactly the same type of NFO files (with exactly the same fields, etc.).

If I force to display information on the file, then kodi actually reads the NFO file and finally displays the data. Even a library refresh does not change anything, I really have to get the info file by file to make all that visible on the interface.

also perhaps try deleting the .nfo and rescraping for this season?

I’ve just tried, and again I have to force the read of the NFO file to actually display the data. Very strange.

are the files which have trouble in season 1 also split episodes?

No they aren’t.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows

If you are having an issue, it’s almost certainly due to not following Kodi’s documentation on naming. It’s very clear what Kodi expects in their own documentation linked here.

in your library try highlighting a problem episode, open the context menu (option button on my remote via cec, not sure how you are configured) choose Episode information, then choose the refresh symbol. See if that brings up anything for that particular episode

It’s exactly the documentation I used to decide how I will rename my files. I decided to use 1x01a.Title.ext, which seems OK.

This is what I was trying to explain when writing “I have to force the read of the NFO file to actually display the data”. Refreshing the episodes information seems to actually force to take into account the data. I still have to try this on the problematic split episodes on the season 2.

I can confirm it’s working.

So, my question is: why changes in local NFO files are not taken into account when scanning the library? Is this a bug (or a feature)?

I don’t use nfo myself so I’m probably not much help, but perhaps here might offer some insight?http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files
In particular
After the NFO files are scanned into the library, the NFO file is no longer used and only serves as a backup. If you make changes to the NFO file you will need to refresh that library entry for the changes to be loaded into Kodi.

So you have the answer: this is a feature :wink:
Thank you all for your help, I know have a clear idea on how to handle local NFO files now.