TVHeadEnd recordings: No free adapter or Time missed?

If you are using fstab or autofs mounts, you could stress test the NAS to really see for sure of it’s NAS throughput or something with TVH. dd is your friend :grinning:

SSH into your Vero and:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/path/to/test/file bs=1024 count=5GB status=progress

this will create a 5GB file with random content. While that is running, open another ssh session and run the dd command again (with a different output filename)

Then check the CPU usage on the NAS.

Don’t forget to remove the 2 test files.

This is simply just brilliant bmillham! Thx a bunch! Gotta love this forum :smiley:
I’m using fstab - so I’m up for doing a stress test on the NAS

Will let you know how it turns out!

Here is the result:

The CPU is trying hard to keep up - but it doesn’t look all that good to be honest…

While we are at it - can someone clarify for me - if this is a potential problem:

Here is showmount - screendump from SSH:

show-mount

And here is what I ended up entering in TVHeadEnd GUI:

And here is my fstab:

fstab

Forgive me if it all seems to be made by a donkey - I’m still very much a rookie when it comes to Linux ( - Microsoft got to me first :stuck_out_tongue:)

Your fstab and TVH settings look OK to me. It’s strange that there is so much CPU load on the NAS while copying files. I wonder if you have a failing drive that’s causing lots of re-writes.

I assume that the drive is internal to the NAS. Does the NAS have USB ports so you could test another drive?

Great to hear that fstab and TVH looks OK!

Yeah it’s rather strange. I will have a look - maybe there’s an internal S.M.A.R.T test of the drive. (in the Synology GUI)

Otherwise I have a bunch of drives lying around - so I could try and swap it out with another one - on monday when I visit my brother.

Just added the S.M.A.R.T status
Nothing really sticks as far as I’m concerned…
But heck - I don’t have a whole lot of faith when it comes to the S.M.A.R.T feature…

Sorry – I thought you were currently running tvh and storage on the NAS, with plans to move TVH over to the Vero.

It seems like something isn’t quite right on the NAS. Live TV isn’t tremendously intensive in terms of throughput. A NAS should be able to keep up with this.

No worries mate :wink:

Yeah I agree.
4 tuners active - streaming rate info from HDHomerun

Adding the streaming rates - and converting to MB/s would be around 5,7 (please correct me if I’m wrong).

During my tests - monitoring the NAS.
Again and again - I see a process - bdflush turn up - consuming 80-90% of the CPU.
(I know it’s only consuming 0.63% in my earlier screendumps - but very often it spikes)

Not an expert when it comes to Linux - but could that be the problem? Or is it just normal Linux logics?

I will definitely give the NAS a factory reset - and setup the NFS share again. Just because I’m curious :wink:

One of your disks may be failing, or the NAS is just slow for writes.

Just a one bay NAS.
I will swap the drive with a spare one - when I factory reset the NAS - to rule out the disk itself being the culprit

So, the Vero is connected via Wifi?

No Wifi - all devices are hooked up to the switch with Cat 6 cable.