Unable to delete a wrong library match

How do you get rid of an incorrect movie match in Movies? I have several short films in a folder called “Short films” (not in English). A library scan has identified this as The Cut Up Films (2004), and I can’t get it to reverse this match.

In my media settings, “Replace file names with library titles” is NOT selected, so this doesn’t seem to be intended behavior. A movie with no match should just display the folder name, which it correctly does for other folders with no matches, but not for this one.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Incorrect_and_missing_videos#Wrong_Movie_or_TV_Show_is_added

The Kodi wiki is quite a robust resource to bookmark for future Kodi specific issues. Enjoy

1 Like

The wiki doesn’t address this particular use case. In this case, the movie can’t possibly have a match since it’s a few random videos that happen to reside in a subfolder inside the Movies folder.

Normally that’s not a problem. You can name a folder “My folder with a few dumb videos,” and the library will just ignore it and keep the title as “My folder with a few dumb videos.” But in this case, the library found a movie with a title similar to “My folder with a few dumb videos” and insists on using an alternate title for it.

I am looking for a way to clear this mismatch, which appeared during the global scan. There is no way to clear it manually from the GUI from what I can see.

If you use the content menu, there is a ‘Delete From Library’ option, but that only removes the database entry, not the actual file.

1 Like

Then this is a matter of you expecting Kodi to work in a way it wasn’t designed. Files that couldn’t possibly match a scrape search should not be included in the folders that you add as library sources.

1 Like

Hey, that worked! The context menu is called “Manage…” and it does ask you whether you want to delete the file in addition to the library entry. That context menu is absent from the Files menu for folders with “Movies” context, hence the discrepancy and why I didn’t see it.

I disagree. You should be able to throw in movies that have no public matches and mix them with movies that do have matches. You should be able to mix your homemade movies/school projects/ custom edits of existing works, with Hollywood movies, and be able to clear out bad matches. One man’s trash is another man’s movie. :wink:

@ActionA point is that it is not how Kodi is designed to be used. I have my collection of off videos, and I just have a separate place to keep them that are not scraped, but still available form the file browser. You have an directory with scraped content, and one that is not scraped.

And if you don’t delete the file then it will simply appear in your library again next time the scraper runs.

You can disagree all you want but you’ll find you still have the same issue every time you scrape. Kodi expects media in the library to be well named and it’s source directories not to contain random videos. If this doesn’t suit you then maybe you can take the issue up with their developers because OSMC has no control over this programmatic requirement.

The issue is that you are putting files you don’t want scraped inside of a location that you told it to scrape. If you don’t want to move the files to a new location you should browse into the video->files-> and find the folder with these files you don’t want scraped. Bring up the context menu of that folder then change content->This directory contains and set it to none.

1 Like

I actually don’t plan on running the scraper globally again. This was the initial setup after connecting a large new source. All new movies will simply be added via the context menu individually. I have no problem with doing that and actually enjoy doing it. :smiley:

In this case, they are not even random videos. They are legit short films by well-known directors but are fairly obscure and will unlikely to make it into a database any time soon, if ever.

This trumps the previous solution. It addresses exactly what I was asking in the OP. I’m super happy now, thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: