Unable to FTP to RPi 3 with Filezilla since reinstall

Hello:
I just did a fresh install of OSMC a few days ago, and since then, I can no longer transfer files to my RPi3 via FTP or SFTP.

I can’t recall which version I was running before (I turned off updates because it was quite stable, but I unplugged and fried my SD card), but I’ve been able to FTP and SFTP using Filezilla since I’ve started using OSMC without any problem. Now, when I try to FTP or SFTP to my RPi3, I get a “Critical File Transfer Error” in Filezilla. I should mention that I’m trying to transfer to an external hard drive connected to the Pi, if that helps.

I have the right IP address, the port is blank, the encryption is “Use explicit FTP over TLS if available,” the logon type is “normal” and the user and password are each “osmc.”

Any ideas? What should I do?

Logs would be the first idea :wink:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Have you installed ftpd from app store?

2 Likes

Sometimes the obvious answers are the best answers.

Except that I’ve never known ftpd to be necessary to connect with Filezilla by SFTP. We’ll need logging to have a chance to pinpoint the issue.

I’ve installed FTPD from the app store, and my log is here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/inazirekeb

Thanks!

Hi,

Jul 16 17:18:50 osmc ntfs-3g[1009]: Mounted /dev/sda2 (Read-Only, label "SEEMORE", NTFS 3.1)
Jul 16 17:18:50 osmc ntfs-3g[1009]: Cmdline options: rw,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,uhelper=udisks
Jul 16 17:18:50 osmc ntfs-3g[1009]: Mount options: rw,nodev,nosuid,uhelper=udisks,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,ro,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sda2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jul 16 17:18:50 osmc ntfs-3g[1009]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 7

Looks like the drive may have mounted readonly, are you able to write to it from the omsc commandline?

I would power off the pi, un-attach the usb drive. Attach the drive to a windows PC, check it with chkdisk and then make sure to safely eject the drive and the try it again on the pi.

Thanks Tom.

That seems to have solved the problem - many thanks Tom_Doyle!

1 Like