Unable to update

Hello! I have a RPi 3, freshly bought and installed with the 2017.10. Today I tried to install the update, but it stops saying “Error installing: (unknown package)”. I have added by hand PiVPN (hence an OpenVPN server) and transmission daemon, maybe those are creating conflicts? I’ll try to report more info from the logs ASAP.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Here’s the (redacted) pastebin of my logs: http://paste.osmc.io/igefehokul.vhdl

I’ve scrolled around and I didn’t see anything helpful. I’ve also tried apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade --simulate but it says that everything is up to date.

You have installed many package including packages that can collide with OSMC (like dhcpcd5). I really would suggest to start from scratch and not install just any package. Transmission you can install via App Store and openvpn comes now preinstalled.

dhcpcd5 and other stuff comes from PiVPN: http://www.pivpn.io/
Transmission also is much older in the App Store compared to the one provided with the transmission-daemon package from the Debian repos.

Unfortunately, systems like PiVPN and PiHole don’t integrate well with OSMC for exactly these reasons, since they conflict with existing OSMC components, such as ConnMan.

I’m not using PiHole so that’s not an issue. But I would like to retain the OpenVPN server, and not have to reconfigure it from scratch.

How easy it would be to copy the OpenVPN certs and keys and reuse them with the OSMC server after the update/reinstall?

I have no experience with PiVPN but I’d expect certs and keys to carry across without any changes, and the config should carry over without any significant issues.

Ok thank you! So basically you’re maintaining the standard location for those files… What about IPTables and related stuff? I only had some issues with that while installing PiVPN…

OSMC uses the Debian OpenVPN distribution, so locations will be standard.

By default, on OSMC iptables rules allow all incoming and outgoing traffic. You’ll need to decide what you want to do with iptables. There’s a lot of information on the Internet.

1 Like