Update / error log

Hi,
the last update resulted in an error which I should report to the forum. Here I am. The log address is: egapigedik.
Hope this is an easy issue for the experts.
Thank you

Your log shows you are suffering from file system corruption, which has caused the update to fail because it cannot read/write to the disk properly:

Oct 16 12:50:33 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_iget:4246: inode #133144: comm gmain: bogus i_mode (0)
Oct 16 12:50:37 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_iget:4246: inode #133144: comm gmain: bogus i_mode (0)
Oct 16 12:50:41 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_iget:4246: inode #133144: comm gmain: bogus i_mode (0)
Oct 16 12:50:45 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_iget:4246: inode #133144: comm gmain: bogus i_mode (0)
Oct 16 12:50:49 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_iget:4246: inode #133144: comm gmain: bogus i_mode (0)

Have you been having any freezes/crashes that have caused the system to be improperly shut down ? You will need to run a fsck on the SD card - not easy to do from OSMC itself at the moment so if you have access to a Linux system it would be better to do it in that.

If you are having freezes/crashes I notice you are clocking your Pi 2 at 1000Mhz - many Pi 2’s are unstable at this speed and that may contribute to the file system getting corrupted.

Thank you for your help!
Yes I had very frequent crashes. I had reported them here in the forum on Oct. 1 2015.
And no, I have no access to a Linux system, but I can access the SD card with Putty I guess. Would this be easier? What is the command for this? Chkdsk as in windows?
And thanks for the hint with overclocking. I will remove/undo this.
Ben

I had a similar problem:

for an access to a linux system with tool disk :
boot computer with “Systeme Rescue CD” (on disk or usb boot)
and run GParted

seeking the SD or the USB key (on USB crash do less damage) and the ext4 partition

Right button and “check and repair” then run, and :smiley:

I think it must run fsck because if I run it again (command line with the console), fsck said to me: clear

PS : to save the SD or USB key on windows: win32diskimager work fine

Thank you!
Unfortunately, I do not have a Linux system.

Gparted Live is a tiny Linux system on a bootable CD or USB stick. Have a look at http://gparted.org/

Hi Jim Knopf,
that’s interesting. I wonder what is more efficient: invest in learning gparted (certainly worthwhile) or buy and use a new SD card (would be number three). I will sleep this over.
Regards
Ben

Ben : You have to read better my reply above !

Put “System Rescue CD” (visit, download and burn in a CD !) in your PC and BOOT whith ! (BIOS: Cd 1rst boot)
you have now a Linux System, with Tools (GParted, etc.) !

GParted : juste launch and right button on SD ext4 part. : “check and repair” and OK
pointless “learning” GParted !

thry.martin,
thanks for the clarification!
I will try
thanks for the follow up
Ben

In that case when you get your system running again I suggest you do not overclock to Turbo and leave it on normal.

The very first port of call if you are having frequent crashes is to disable any overclock. You cannot assume that your system will be stable on Turbo overclock and you run at that speed at your own risk.

DBMandrake
yes, I understand.
I’m still in the process to burn a System Rescue CD.
Thank you
Ben

Hi All.
Thanks to everybody!!
The procedure as described by thry.martin worked.
The SD card is repaired and the problematic update is installed.
Thank you all
Ben

There is nothing problematic about the update - your file system was corrupted already, causing the update to fail. I would drop your overclock back to normal ASAP to avoid further problems.

Yes, yes, yes
of course. Probably it would be wise to show a warning sign on the “overclock”-page to avoid other users to overclock.

For me, after years with Pi 256, Pi 512 and Pi2, I rather think:
With Pi: small overclock only possible way with radiator and fan (too hot)
With Pi2: minimum overclock easily. otherwise, radiator and fan, but for OSMC this is not very useful.
By cons: The system is more solid on a USB stick
Most people turn off the power mistakenly : ex: TV-USB, etc. I advise a power adapter and leave it still plugged Pi
or only with one sector button after turning off the Pi under OSMC

for power outages: joker

my 2 cts

Ben: PS : to save the SD or USB key on windows: win32diskimager work fine

Unless you live in an environment with very high ambient temperatures and no climate control, I have never seen a pi running at any stable overclock that required a heatsink or a fan, and that includes a rev1 256mb model bb and all others. The pi are fine until around 86°c and even then, have a built in function to prevent damage if the temp does reach that high.

Ben: you should indicate solved in the message of DBMandrake who found the cause (file system corruption) and the solution (fsck : Gparted is the same, it must use fsck - imho)

ActionA :

very high ambient temperatures

no no, 25°C “all the time”, just because a box…
At home, on Pi 256, when made with overclock exceed 70 ° C, I had freeze …
with radiator and fan: below 60 ° C and OK - With Pi B+ 512 it’s better, but not perfect, Pi2 is correct

I think as processors, some series work better than others, also often the processors are the same and the speed indication shall follow tests it seems…

The Pi 2 does not heat up as much, I did not install a fan, but it is fast enough to overclock is useless with OSMC

I would suspect that to be the product of an unstable clock speed rather than an overtemp condition.