Update error - Raspi2

Hi OSMC Forums. My RasPi doesnt want to update itself. When I run the updater, it gets to 1% then goes back to 0% and then says its failed and to post on the forum. The log files are at: http://paste.osmc.io/azaxeqotel

Its currently running osmc 4.1.5-1-osmc

Other than this, I am very much enjoying OSMC - great stuff! Thanks in advance.

I can see an error connecting to ftp.debian.org in your log:

"/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.updates/resources/lib/apt_cache_action.py", line 236, in update\n    self.cache = apt.Cache()\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 107, in __init__\n    self.open(progress)\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 154, in open\n    self._cache = apt_pkg.Cache(progress)\nSystemError: E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.\n', u'error': u'', u'package': u''}]
12:21:25 184.801697 T:1771914272   DEBUG: script.module.osmcsetting.updates :  - apt_updater encountered and error: 
                                            Exception : Error Type and Args: SystemError : ('E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.',) 

Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.updates/resources/lib/apt_cache_action.py", line 72, in __init__
                                                self.act()
                                              File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.updates/resources/lib/apt_cache_action.py", line 115, in act
                                                action()
                                              File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.updates/resources/lib/apt_cache_action.py", line 236, in update
                                                self.cache = apt.Cache()
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 107, in __init__
                                                self.open(progress)
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 154, in open
                                                self._cache = apt_pkg.Cache(progress)
                                            SystemError: E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Yesterday I was having an issue at work where I couldn’t update because I couldn’t connect to http://ftp.debian.org - I also could not browse to that URL with a web browser on a PC, however on a 4G network I could connect OK. From that I think that debian were having problems with some of their mirrors yesterday or routing to certain ISP’s, and maybe that is still happening. (I can’t check as I am at home now)

Can you try going to http://ftp.debian.org on a PC on the same network as your Pi and see if you get a directory index that says debian, or whether the page times out ? If the latter, that is your issue and it should sort itself out in a day or two. What country are you in and what ISP are you on ?

Thanks for the reply. I tried browsing the debian ftp site and I got the index page, no time out.

I’m in the UK, my ISP is Virgin.

I’m also on Virgin Media in the UK.

Can you try it again and see if it is working now ?

I’ve tried this periodically over the past few weeks. But it wont update - I get the same error each time that I try. I dont think it has ever successfully updated - its still running the August build, which I think is what I set it up with.

Looking thru this thread it definitely points to a network or DNS problem. There would be a couple of things to test but we need to better understand your setup.
Not sure if you want to do the troubleshooting in this thread or just sent me a message and we do it offline.

Please try to update via SSH and copy and paste any errors that come up:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade