Updating OSMC

I guess I’m not a fully up-to-day user of the OSMC/KODI system. Evidently some time ago I turned off the automatic update function, not sure why.

So my question is what is the latest version. In MYOSMC page I see OSMC November 2020 2020.11.1 and in the KODI System Info I see OSMC running Kodi 18.9 compiled 2020-11-26.

All is working fine and we are happy, but should I update to a newer version?..RDK

Well, if I were you this is how I would go about to decide:

• Is there anything that would break if I updated, addon wise?
  • Is there addons the requires update?
  • Is security a big issue for me?
  • Do I have any “custom stuff” that can brake?

v.18 → v.19 is a big systemwide change (python version required), plus if you are still running 18.9 the underlaying Debian distro. is old as well. So there are a lot of things that are going to change in you system if you update to latest now. Now matrix v.19 is rather stable most addons have
caught up or been replaced by alternatives. And the newer underlaying OS is often more secure =)

1 Like

Is there a list of changes from my current setup to the latest update. I do not want to change to a new version of DEBIAN unless I have to…

Yes - these are documented on the blog.

OK, “Thanks”…RDK

There have been a lot of changes to the video stack for Raspberry Pi outlined here.

I’d give this a read before considering an update: Kodi v19 Matrix is here. Here's what you need to know - OSMC

Thanks

Sam

Thanks again for the details…RDK